Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Sigh another hacked thread for randallin

Justin... it isn't Christmas anymore, switch your avatar.

Also, I just emailed you a new avatar in a convenient EXE file. Let me know when you've opened it.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I just emailed you a new avatar in a convenient EXE file. Let me know when you've opened it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also let me know if you need help bypassing your anti virus software.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I just emailed you a new avatar in a convenient EXE file. I'll know when you've opened it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM

could one of those mods peoples make randal's skdfj;slfkjs shorter?

it's still [censored] up the page
Old 02-10-2007, 07:38 PM

Every other day PS,UB,FTP,Bodog have updates.I use Zone Alarm and it asks everytime if I want to allow the program to save on my computer. I assumed these were safe.
Is there any reason to worry about these?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every other day PS,UB,FTP,Bodog have updates.I use Zone Alarm and it asks everytime if I want to allow the program to save on my computer. I assumed these were safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

only if the hackers are from within...

<cue eerie music in the background>
Old 02-10-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way, this avatar is awesome. It's one of the best Xmas avatars and one of the few I'd appreciate seeing year-round.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only if the hackers are from within...

<cue eerie music in the background>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL-just checking. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM

Here you can find a security thread by ColdCaller, a network expert. I think he takes some things a bit far, but if you follow his instructions you will be 100% safe.

A bit about my credentials: I have a Master's degree in Computer Science and work as an IT project manager. I don't specialize in security, but have a fair handle on the subject.

To be 99.9% safe, do the following:
* Always have the following software installed:
- Anti-virus. Which one you choose isn't that big a deal, one of the big vendors (Norton, F-Secure etc) is cool, as is the free alternatives described in ColdCaller's thread. Obviously, make sure you download new signature files automatically.
- Firewall (XP's own, or preferrably a better one like e.g. ZoneAlarm)
- Anti-spyware (like Windows Defender, although not strictly necessary if you know what you're doing...but to be safe, get it and have the real-time protection enabled)
- Legitimate Windows XP copy (if you have a pirated version, you better be damn sure it's not messed with)

* If you have a wireless router: always encrypt the wireless traffic. This is not optional. I don't really agree with ColdCaller's opinion that you shouldn't play poker over wireless, if you encrypt your traffic you should be fine. However, playing on a wireless connection that is not encrypted, like a lot of typical hotel wireless set-ups, can indeed be dangerous and is not recommended. This goes double for playing at typical gatherings of young poker players, where you will find a lot of technically savvy people.

* Use GOOD passwords at ALL poker sites. This includes the following:
- 8 or more characters
- 1 or more numbers
- 1 or more capitalized letters
- No family names, birth dates etc that can easily be connected to you
- No dictionary words + 1, like "Poker1" or the like.
- let's face it, you won't use different passwords for each and every site. I don't either. At the very least, use very good passwords for important sites (like all poker sites) and DON'T use the same password for web sites that doesn't encrypt the login process, like 2+2. To easily identify this, check for "https" in the address window of your browser instead of the standard "http". There should also be a keypad lock icon to the bottom right in your browser.

* Appallingly, not all poker sites encrypt the sign-up process on their sites. From the top of my head, I remember Doyle's Room as one of the sinners. This is really, really bad. To get around this, use a temporary password when you sign up, then change it in the poker client itself to a better/different one.

* Don't auto-login on sites when using your computer outside of your home. If you regularly move your computer around, I'd strongly advise you to disable this option on all sites. Although it's a bit of a bitch, people won't be able to steal all your mobnies without even breaking a sweat.

* Don't download any files without scanning them with your antivirus software. This is not optional. Zip-files can be harmful as well btw, since they can easily contain .exe, .bat (and other harmful types) files. In general, be very suspicious.

* I know it's a cliche, but don't share your passwords with ANYONE you don't trust 100% (and don't share it with them either, unless you have a very good reason). That means most of your 2+2 acquaintances as well.

* Remember: MSN is NOT encrypted (there are free clients that are). I don't know about AIM etc, since I don't use them. What this means is, you should never pass any sensitive info over MSN.

* Use Firefox or Opera as a web browser. Most malware that aims at browsers are developed with Internet Explorer in mind. Through the last 2-3 years of using Firefox, I have yet to get a single instance of spyware.

* I don’t agree with ColdCaller that you need run a full anti-virus/spyware scan every day. It won’t hurt obviously. If you leave your computer on at night and auto-schedule the tasks, nothing wrong will come from it.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks Soul.
Good Check list for complete "end users" like me.
I try to take precautions and keep up to date, but these evil doers are just too quick with the hacking crap.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]