Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: First Live Experience--Any Pointers?

[ QUOTE ]
I stand by my original statement. I think there is way to much to see and hear and learn on your first trip. Save looking for live tells for trip #3 or 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'll follow this advice. I have a feeling I'm gonna be focusing about 95% of my concentration on not f**king up and getting yelled at by the dealer/other players for slowing the game down.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I stand by my original statement. I think there is way to much to see and hear and learn on your first trip. Save looking for live tells for trip #3 or 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess we have a difference of opinion. That's OK. I will, however, suggest the following:

At low stakes NLTH, more so than any other form of poker, except possibly for PLO with degenerates or KCL, you will eventually be put to a decision for all your chips without sufficient information to decide what to do. That decision, where you will have no logical way to decide how to proceed, will usually decide whether you are a winner or a loser for the night.

If he's going to ignore reading his opponents, how do you propose he make that most important of decisions? Coin flip?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Always chop. Always. Even if you have pocket A's.

[/ QUOTE ]
F'n bull. Where's it written you can't play out of the blinds? In California, with the bizarre drop, sure, but Vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you don't have to chop. But at least have the courtesy to chop every hand or none at all.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'll follow this advice. I have a feeling I'm gonna be focusing about 95% of my concentration on not f**king up and getting yelled at by the dealer/other players for slowing the game down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about that. Something will probably happen, but it won't be near as bad as you think, and concentrating isn't going to fix it so just roll with the punches.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
F'n bull. Where's it written you can't play out of the blinds? In California, with the bizarre drop, sure, but Vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you don't have to chop. But at least have the courtesy to chop every hand or none at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. Personally, I came to play poker and it's unlikely I'll ever chop from the BB. From the SB, sure.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. Personally, I came to play poker and it's unlikely I'll ever chop from the BB. From the SB, sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if someone chops or not. I just can't stand the guy who looks at his cards and then decides whether or not he wants to chop. I usually say something to the effect of "If you haven't looked at your cards, we can still chop." If the guy says he doesn't want to or that he already looked, I look at mine and play.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't care if someone chops or not. I just can't stand the guy who looks at his cards and then decides whether or not he wants to chop. I usually say something to the effect of "If you haven't looked at your cards, we can still chop." If the guy says he doesn't want to or that he already looked, I look at mine and play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's perfectly fine. Chopping after looking as a bizarre bluff dynamic that I have no interest in participating in. Although I suppose the true shark would solve it for equilibrium and play that little subgame very well. People who look at their hand early should always chop or never chop.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's perfectly fine. Chopping after looking as a bizarre bluff dynamic that I have no interest in participating in. Although I suppose the true shark would solve it for equilibrium and play that little subgame very well. People who look at their hand early should always chop or never chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at my hand early and I always chop. I have never had any objections to this. I have only had a few people who don't want to chop where I play, and they all were of the "sometimes chop, sometimes not" variety.

I play in a no-flop, no-drop location with a $3+1 rake, and I mainly play $4/$8, so chopping seems like it makes sense unless you are 1 SB per hand better than the average player at the table. I'm not that good.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Headsup with the other blind at the lower limits he is talking about playing, the only one who is gonna win is the house. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM

If you are a NL player I suggest playing some 2/4 limit first to get the feel of live play.

I'm not sure what the buy-ins are for live 1/2 in Vegas, but in my neck of the woods it is $100 (50 bb.) Make sure you adjust your play accordingly.