Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Safe driving tips.

If you're going faster than everyone else, no one can hit you from behind.

Also, don't try to be the f**king police by driving the speed limit in the fast lane - all you're doing is forcing the speeders to cut around you which increases the sudden braking for everyone and makes it less safe for everyone.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 PM

You can tell where your car is on the road by using reference points. Try this out in a parking lot with painted spaces. Park your car so that front bumper is a couple inches away from the front of the parking space. Then sit in the drivers seat in your standard driving posture, and look out the drivers window and see where the painted line is in relation to your side mirror. In my previous car, the line would appear just under the bottom of the mirror. You can also use this techinique for the position of your right and left wheels. This will allow you to park well, and also helps you stay in the center of your lane on the road.

I thought this was pretty standard, but when I told it to my GF she had never heard of it.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

I drive a 98 chevy suburban raised and on 28's and I own the highway. I speed and weave in and out of traffic. I come ridiculously close to cars while changing lanes.

I didn't get one speeding ticket once, and no i do not have a radar detector.

PASS THE SUGAR!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't try to be the f**king police by driving the speed limit in the fast lane - all you're doing is forcing the speeders to cut around you which increases the sudden braking for everyone and makes it less safe for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, don't [censored] pass on the right with little room only to move one car up on a congested freeway. I can't stand these [censored] idiots. Get off my ass. I leave a 3 second gap between me and the car in front of me... I'm still going the same [censored] speed as the car in front and the car in front of that car and the car in front of that car. Congratulations for gaining 2.5 seconds and risking your life, [censored].
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM

I have been driving with my mirrors like the way you discribed for a few years. I first read it in a Liberty Mutual article. Works great. (Sometimes its hard to see motorcycles, depends on where their driving)
Old 02-07-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been driving with my mirrors like the way you discribed for a few years. I first read it in a Liberty Mutual article. Works great. (Sometimes its hard to see motorcycles, depends on where their driving)

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, i'll have to pay more attention to see how that is. But being a (sometime) bicyclist and former motorcycle rider I tend to look out extra careful for them anyway.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to speed, don't slam your brakes and cause a huge chain reaction just because you see a [censored] cop on the side of the road and think you might get a ticket. Don't be a pussy and risk my life to save $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told that sudden braking is more likely to get you ticketed as well, although I'm sure it depends on whether you're going 75 in a 65 or 100 in a 65...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been told that sudden braking is more likely to get you ticketed as well, although I'm sure it depends on whether you're going 75 in a 65 or 100 in a 65...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit of a myth. Yes, it will get you noticed, but in most states you can get a ticket thrown out if they can't prove your speed, either by pacing or radar. So if you see a cop and think he hasn't got your speed yet, your best move is to brake hard so he can't peg you with radar at a higher speed.

People who brake when they see a cop are still jackasses, though. By the time you see the cop he's probably already got you. Also if he's pulled over writing a ticket YOU DONT HAVE TO SLOW DOWN!!! If you're gonna speed and you care about tickets get a radar detector.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to speed, don't slam your brakes and cause a huge chain reaction just because you see a [censored] cop on the side of the road and think you might get a ticket. Don't be a pussy and risk my life to save $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time you realize there's a cop near-by, they have already tagged you with the laaaaaaaazer beams. Breaking is just retarded at that point. Play it cool and don't make eye contact and nothing will happen, guaranteed.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the time you realize there's a cop near-by, they have already tagged you with the laaaaaaaazer beams. Breaking is just retarded at that point. Play it cool and don't make eye contact and nothing will happen, guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do - let off the gas, don't look at the guy and keep coasting by. I've never been pulled over once, BTW (althoug I'm not a reckless speeder, I do usually go 10mph over)