Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Worst Dismissals/Firings/Layoffs You\'ve Seen/Experienced

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No particular firing, but the white-collar company I used to work at shipped people out the door within an hour or less of them giving notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no work real work experience, but this sounds pretty degrading. Bison's post about being gone in 3 minutes sounds very very degrading.

[/ QUOTE ]

at my brother's company they laid a girl off but let her work the rest of the day. she spent the day downloading all of the projects she had worked on for the last 6 months, burned them to CD and deleted them off of the company network. she then got a job at a competitor and took the projects w/ her.

in other instances i have heard of people stealing fax machines and installing programs that steal the pennies when deposits are rounded off.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No particular firing, but the white-collar company I used to work at shipped people out the door within an hour or less of them giving notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no work real work experience, but this sounds pretty degrading. Bison's post about being gone in 3 minutes sounds very very degrading.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's very degrading. I cleared mine in 5 but I didn't have anyone helping me. My boss at the time (who I did not get along with) asked me not to say goodbye to anyone "since it might upset them." Upset them?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in other instances i have heard of people stealing fax machines and installing programs that steal the pennies when deposits are rounded round off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like in Superman 3?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

in other instances i have heard of people stealing fax machines and installing programs that steal the pennies when deposits are rounded round off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like in Superman 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Worst Dismissals/Firings/Layoffs You've Seen/Experienced

Most of these posts, not all, teh people involved deserved to be fired.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 PM

Bison's post about being gone in 3 minutes sounds very very degrading.

It was 9:30 am and I had no desire to stick around. Wasn't degrading. I was sad about being fired (and deserving it), but I had no reason to stick around, and it was a small enough company that they knew they could get my friend to get an update if anything was left hanging.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What other choice is there? You can't just let disgruntled ex-employees run around your office.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 PM

We once let a poker dealer go, but we needed him to work his Thur afternoon shift. The poker room manager filled out all the paperwork in HR that morning and that evening when he was getting off I handed him his copy.

There was another one that was someone not getting fired. When I moved from a dual rate to a full time floor I was repalcing someone that was going to get fired. The day he was to come in and as going to be terminated he had a heart attack adn didn't make it in. I was already lined up to come in and work his shifts (but it wasn't written on the schedule becasue this was between me and the poker room manager). It was weird becasue I was the only person that didn't knwo he had a heart attack and I was assuming he had been fired when people were coming up asking me if I had heard how he was doing. It was kind of weird when he came back to work and his old job wasn't available for him.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No particular firing, but the white-collar company I used to work at shipped people out the door within an hour or less of them giving notice. I never knew someone was leaving until the next day when Bob or Sally didn't show up for lunch in the cafeteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard in semiconductor...around 1998, I'd been at my job for around two years. The director (my boss' boss) was very good at making sure his people suffered minimal casualties during layoffs. This manager in the Order Management group was not as lucky, and it took her completely by surprise. Sobbing, crying, others in the office comforting her...ugly scene.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM

the ludicrous .com I worked at in 2001 went through some big layoffs (including me). but prior to this, there was a big reorg and the VP of Engineering was supposed to be re-assigned.

I guess he didn't like this, so he took a statue (2 foot high) and threw it right through an huge interior glass window. SMASH. then he stormed out. that was pretty awesome.