Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: 44 CO

But a bet on the turn from nowhere represents a flush when that third spade hits indicating that we are worried it will be checked through if we don't bet- hence otherwise missing a bet.

a raise on opponents part would be very brave if he didn't have a flush
Old 02-07-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But a bet on the turn from nowhere represents a flush when that third spade hits indicating that we are worried it will be checked through if we don't bet- hence otherwise missing a bet.

a raise on opponents part would be very brave if he didn't have a flush

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever slim benefit we might gain by betting the turn is far outweighed by the many negative outcomes that will often occur as a result. fwiw, i would raise lots of good nonflush hands on that turn if i was villain.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Help a noob out, I'm a little confused as to why we bet the flop; is it to get it heads up with the button, are we that proud of our hand? But wouldn't it be better to just check the flop and if button raises we'd only need a couple of callers to get pretty much the implied odds we need for our 22:1 closing the action, and take down a huge pot if our 4 hits?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the CO.

5 limpers, Hero limps, BN raises. BB, all limpers call.

Pot: 12 SB

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

5 checks. Hero bets,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this bet is the definition of reverse implied odds, even ignoring that you immediately got raised.

It seems very dicey.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Interesting suggestion, James, on the river b/3b. I think I have too much MUBS to 3-bet that board right now. Or, in other words, I guess I don't think that many live 3/6 players would raise the river with less than AA/QQ/flush.

I think the flop play is really more interesting here. I bet this hand because, considering the size of the pot, I like it well enough heads up against the button's range. I really dislike my hand when I check to the button, he bets, and three players call between me and him and they're all getting 13:1 and better. I'm basically asking him to raise out hands like 99-55, single spades and overcards to my pair. If one or more players cold calls, let alone 3-bets, between the button and me, I'll have a pretty good idea that those players have a Q or flush draw and can play from there accordingly. So I'm saying that the pot is big enough here that I want to make an unorthodox play without worrying as much about wasting a bet because I think that eliminating players will greatly improve my chances of winning it. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Or, in short, I think this is much more "Playing Aggressively with Marginal Hands" (where they recommend check-raising 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a board of T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in a 12.5 SB pot) than "Reverse Implied Odds."