Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: I\'m really depressed about the state of online poker now

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell did you guys manage to go from;
Poker legistation----->end of the world

Not that I'm american or anything (or ever planning to move there evarrr) so this might have something to do with this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its that a long time ago America was about individualism and sticking it to the man, going west, city on a hill, marshall plan, ask not what your country can do for you, rugged individualism, etc... Hell even the rest of the world loved us.

And that all.... who knows. Maybe we're looking at the dark before the dawn or just the start of the storm. I'll get back to you on that in 50 years.

Im not entirely sure where youre from Freelancer. What you personally feel about nationalism or the greater sense of national identity it takes for a man in France to call himself French. But I know personally that for me being American was more identifiable with a set of freedoms rights and lifestyles than any ethnic or racial brand... I dont know if thats true anymore. I can only hope that in the coming years these negative posts sound insane and emo in light of the country correcting its course
Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] all the responses. Glad I'm not the only one.

Peace.

---Kurt
Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 PM

I agree with you that it is depressing what is happening out there.....but don't take what is happening too heavy. Online poker is a multi-billion dollar industry. And one thing I know is that if there is huge money to be made.....people are going to try to make it. I think that you will find that you will always be able to play poker online and make money doing it.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not that I'm american or anything (or ever planning to move there evarrr) so this might have something to do with this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its that a long time ago America was about individualism and sticking it to the man, going west, city on a hill, marshall plan, ask not what your country can do for you, rugged individualism, etc... Hell even the rest of the world loved us.

And that all.... who knows. Maybe we're looking at the dark before the dawn or just the start of the storm. I'll get back to you on that in 50 years.

Im not entirely sure where youre from Freelancer. What you personally feel about nationalism or the greater sense of national identity it takes for a man in France to call himself French. But I know personally that for me being American was more identifiable with a set of freedoms rights and lifestyles than any ethnic or racial brand... I dont know if thats true anymore. I can only hope that in the coming years these negative posts sound insane and emo in light of the country correcting its course

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm from the netherlands wich probably has to do with this. Down to earth people etc etc etc blah blah blah...

Now I don't want to start a war about my thoughts and idea's about america (there certainly not that rosy and nice lol and I had 'wars' over that before) but the point is; The world won't end, there won't be a major disaster and america will survive (maybe in a different form). There are many things wrong with america but none of them are obstacles that can't get overcome so whats the fuss about? You won't find me worrying that the netherlands is going down the crap hole...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are many things wrong with america but none of them are obstacles that can't get overcome so whats the fuss about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with that. People have been saying we're all going to hell in a handbasket as long as I can remember, but life pretty much goes on just like always. It gets a little frustrating seeing the country under leadership that I don't agree with, but that happens everywhere in the world too.

I know there's never been a war before, and the USA invented terrorism in 2002 or so, and that we're all mean infidels capitalist pigs at heart, but c'mon. The VAST majority of people here are just regular folks who get up, drop their kids off at school and go to work. People act as if the country is full of Paris Hiltons and Howard Sterns and T.O.'s or something.

Anyway, online poker: I really wouldn't worry about it so much. It's a big, popular industry now, and big popular industries have influence.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Big Bend, I think the answer to your depression might just be in your name/avatar.
Get outdoors, get some exercise, and get some perspective. If the expansive beauty of big bend doesn't give you a lift, I don't know what will.

Don't let things out of your control affect you too much. Things will work out.

Lemme see if I can remember the "why worry" mantra.
Why worry? You're either sick or well, if you're well then you have nothing to worry about. If you're sick, you'll either get better, or you'll die. If you die, you'll either go to heaven or hell. If you go to hell, you'll be so busy shaking hands with old friends you won't have time to worry.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM

If it helps any, you aren't the only one in that boat. The only thing more depressing than USA on line poker is the USA's foreign policy. And the only thing more depresssing that that is the fact that I voted for this SOB and helped enable his cronies to pull all of this. I am (I mean was) a Republican, betrayed by Republicans for cash from other Republicans. Oh well, the best advice I've seen is simply to give a big healthy FU to the man and carry on.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM

massachusettes sucks for poker
Old 02-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Freelancer and all (but especially freelancer),

I never claimed nor would I that the history of the US has been void of any negativity. I would claim however that the US has (had) historically focused a good deal on individual rights and freedoms at many points ahead of the curve internationally in such rights, at some of course behind. I also never stated nor would I that I think the world/US (barring nuclear war, etc) will devolve into a Mad Max style society in my lifetime... I just fear that we, citizens of America, have become so apathetic about our lives and goals as to be more focused on Paris Hilton than AIDs in Africa, to devote more thought and press time to Donald v Rosie than the plight of the American middle class. We live in a country that can have a show as insane as "my super sweet 16", where people in my congressional district can vote (43% of the voters) for a congressman (Sherwood) who admitted to having an illicit affair with a woman who accused him of strangling her and threatening her and then trying to quietly settle outside of court to drop the rest of it, the poker legislation passed recently was an example of the fact that government just doesnt give a fack.

I wake up and feel that I live in a theocracy dominated by folks with an extreme religious agenda (this is getting into politics now) who dont care about facts or the people they represent. I think we as a nation facked up a good name that took centuries of trying (relatively) to stand for freedom and humanitarianism (not saying we always totally did either)... the rest of the world knows it. If tomorrow we had evidence that Iran was going to toilet paper everyones house no one would believe us nor should they.

I dont know the solution. I dont know if there is a solution. I can say though that it makes me sad and I hope things change.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with you Free, but many Americans (and probably other nationalities) tend to get a bit melodramatic. Sometimes it makes we wonder if we're Amer-i-cans or Amer-i-can'ts. But I don't dwell on it. I think online poker getting the scorch by Congress might be a wake-up call for some Americans that our gov't isn't always on their side. Get in line behind all the other groups of people our gov't has screwed in its short history. Screwing poker players ain't even a drop in the bucket.