Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Re: GameTap

buummpp

I just bought this today and it has more old games that I love than I know what to do with. A lot PC RPGs that I've wanted to play, old arcade games, leaderboards, fighting games that are apparently two player. Looks very cool, havent tried half of that stuff yet but I'll be busy with this for a while. def worth 10 bucks a month imo.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 PM

GetThere1Time -

What's your nick on GameTap? I'll add you. I'm AJGluteia.

Grandgnu -

Nice setup for $1600. I was just trying to make a point about the enduring excellence of some classic games; I agree that buying ulta nosebleed end hardware is pretty retarded given how quickly the tech evolves and the way pricing works. On the other hand, as long as you've found that sweet upper-mid range value spot, paying a little extra for boutique service makes ok sense to me as you get a nice relaxing warranty & don't use up a bunch of time finding and assembling components.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted solely because of XCom. XCom is easily one of the very best games of all time, pixelated graphics at all. Personally, the only game I'd put up with it at the top is the original Half-Life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're dying to play X-Com again, it can be easily downloaded for free. I think I got it at Home of the Underdogs, which is an absolutely fantastic site.

There are definitely some old games that I'd love to play again though that I'd shell out $10 or $20 for. The Ultima Underworlds come to mind. I tried Arx Fatalis, which was definitely in the same mold, and while it was pretty good it didn't quite live up.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I got it at Home of the Underdogs, which is an absolutely fantastic site.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, your link goes to www.the-underdogs.org

I think the actual link to Home of the Underdogs is www.the-underdogs.info
Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GetThere1Time -

What's your nick on GameTap? I'll add you. I'm AJGluteia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm GetThere1Time on there also, if you or anyone else wants to add me. I've only downloaded a few games so far but I'm having a blast with it. I'd love to play some challenge fighting games but I cant find my PC game controller and there's no way in hell I'm playing on a keyboard.

Some games I DLed so far:

<u>1941 Counter Attack</u> - old vert shmup, good stuff. hard as hell
<u>Age of Wonder IIs</u> - PC strat game akin to Heroes of Might and Magic. I can't get the hang of it. Seems complicated.
<u>Altered Beast</u> - Old arcade/sega game. Side scrolling punch/hack em. Tons of fun.
<u>Contra: Hard Corps </u>- Contra game for the genesis. Very hard. Again lots of fun but can be frustrating at times.
<u>Grandia II</u> - RPG, havent touched it yet but I've heard good things about the Grandia series
<u>Heroes of Might and Magic IV</u> - turn based fantasy strat game. III and II were better all around games imo but I've played them to death. Still a solid game in its own right and runs fine in windowed mode. Easy to play and multitask. My only real gripe is that the game crashes when you click on the mage guild in your town.
<u>Sonic 2 </u>- Needs no explanation
<u>King of Dragons </u>- Fantasy based side scrolling fighter. Good for some mindles beat em up fun.
<u>Worms Armageddon </u>- turn based worm carnage. A must play imo. I purchased this game when it came out and spent way too much time on it.
<u>Deus Ex: Invisible Wars</u> - FPS/RPG/Adventure. I loved the first one. Long download but well worth it so far.