Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you play in this?
Yes 81 75.00%
No 1 0.93%
Maybe 26 24.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Yes I have cleaned toilets

I worked part-time for 2 years at Wendy's. I was a hardworker and was quickly named employee of the month. Yay! I worked every position they had there with the exception of the management positions. I met a chick I eventually dated there which was cool.

BTW, even after applying and interviewing for and getting offers for 6 engineering jobs later in life, my 2 part behavioral-based interview at Wendy's was BY FAR the most difficult one I ever went on. The funny thing is that due to the work, they'll hire ANYONE!

Then I worked at a plastic bucket factory where they made plastic buckets. It was about 40 degrees in the factory and I was working with one guy that was probably going to jail in the next week after getting caught for break and enter. I quit after 2 shifts.

Edited to add: I also spent a summer driving a large front end loader at an oil sands mine. Fun for a summer, but would be a crappy career.

I've had a bunch of menial jobs. My first was working at the Dole Pineapple Cannery in high school. summer was the picking season, so that was when Dole hired a bunch of temp workers and put their production in high gear. the front was miles of conveyor belts with pineapples being toted along in various states of production. the crowns got lopped off at one section, then the pine got skinned, then chopped into whatever shape they'd get canned in (rings, chunks, crushed, etc) then they were canned. the back of was a warehouse that stored three million or so cans waiting to be sent out. some of it was a couple of years old, but still within shelf life. I was in a qc group, so they gave us metal mallets and had us tap the tops of each can on a pallet. if it sounded different, it wasn't filled with enough juice, so it was pulled.

the best menial job i had was at a restaurant. best night was a when a large group (about 200) came in for a luau. buffet style. my friend and I just had to make sure the silverware and plates were stocked and the finished plates were pulled from customers' tables. it was, i think, 35 a head with an automatic 18% tip added. they also left us some additional tip. we finished early, so my other friend asked me to help double team some of his tables since he was slammed. I did that for a while and one of the tables ended up being a couple of aussie girls on vacation who wanted to go out that night. we made arrangements and i stuck around to wait for them (and my friend to finish). meanwhile, my boss asked me to help out with valet as they were short handed.

I ended up walking away with over 500 in cash and a night out with a hot aus. chick who's name i don't even remember.

I worked at a McDonalds for 4 years, give or take. I was a manager so it wasnt that bad. When I started out I had to do a lot of the [censored] jobs.

Usually every Sat morning id have to clean the lot, windows, do the garbage, stock everything up. I worked from 6-2, so that was also a beat. I know once in a while Id come in and never see a customer, id spend the whole day cleaning. Ive cleaned up puke on several occusions and once had the excess, old grease bucket split on me. If you've ever seen or smelt one, you know what its like. Bathrooms werent actually that bad, except when they overflowed. I was usually the one that had to fix that too.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... and once had the excess, old grease bucket split on me. If you've ever seen or smelt one, you know what its like.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be really disgusting!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:25 PM

one summer doing traffic control on a street where they were showing off some multi million dollar homes

one summer doing landscape maintenance at a golfcourse and the surrounding subdivision. spent it riding around in various 4 or 6 wheel vehicles, digging ditches, building bridges, etc.

one summer working in a manufacturing plant doing spot welding and light assembly plus shipping

after that it's all computer jobs from progamming to desktop support either as a fulltime employee or as an outside consultant

i've also done operations management for one of those pub poker companies that run freeroll tourneys in pubs/clubs

best time was definitely at the golf course where i was left alone and got to work outside. staff parties/bbq's were great.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM

I've only had one menial job and it lasted 3 hours.

In between IT jobs, I got the bright idea to do the security gaurd thing.

Walked around for about 3 hours and then ditched the uniform in the bushes and never went back. That was some 14 years ago.

I tossed pies in high school, but that doesn't count since it was...well...high school.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I made a whopping $5 an hour in store credit. I used it to buy Magic Cards, how cool was I? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds illegal. Did you have the option of being paid in cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, and yes it was very illegal, but i didn't care since i got boxes of magic cards. My parents thought it was a good character building thing
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 PM

My first real job was at Skippers (fast food fish).

It took me about 2 weeks to realize that you actually have to like use effort and stuff, but once they made some threats at me, I kicked into gear and pretty much rocked.

PROS:

I actually really liked the fast pace of work. At least as a conceptual distraction, it sounds really appealing relative to the office work that I do.

Working front line customer service like that you get to interact with a lot of people, some of them are hot. Not that I put this to use, but at least the opportunity was there, again, unlike here.

CONS:

I closed back a lot, which meant dishwashing, mopping, cleaning chowder pots and stuff. Very hot, sweating, nasty work.

Closing front was more mopping, but worst, cleaning bathrooms, and the bizzare little tampon holder thingy. That [censored] scared me because girl stuff was in there.

Working nights killed your social life. My last two years of high school, all my friends were my co-workers for the most part.

Biggest Con:

Girl who was obviously into me and like on 3 different occasions threw herself at me but I was too unaware to notice.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 PM

i manage a bar part time, our owners are really hands on, they help us with everything, both of them are millionaires several times over, one of them is lance armstrong's best friend, if there is a problem with a toilet or something in the bathroom, he'll go fix it/clean it himself as often as he asks one of us.

that's probably the reason(one of them at least) he is a multimillionaire
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Jobs that I have had:

Worked at a movie theater
Worked at Barnes and Noble
Worked at the Old Navy
Worked at an insurance company doing documentation
Worked at Applebye's
Worked as a mover
Worked at Office Depot
Worked at a law firm as a file clerk and legal assistant
Worked in a warehouse doing distribution
Work as a materials guru.

All in all, working at Barnes and Nobles was the worst. Although Old Navy and Appleby's were bad as well.Very boring, quite, library like. All the other jobs have afforded me with enough bs and fun time, along with work. Can't say I really regret any of them.