Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Hey, Where Did the Hockey Stick Go??

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly there isn't actually any intellectually honest debate that global warming is occurring because of man made factors. None.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is absolutely incorrect and it is such attempts to classify any dissenting views as intellectually dishonest that sends up red flags for me as to the validity and honesty of those saying global warming is caused by humans. Good science does not say such things. But, those pushing an agenda at any cost do.

And, one really only needs to look at the last IPCC summary to see that things are far from conclusive, even if the IPCC is pushing a completely slanted agenda.

I direct you to the chart below from the study. Very likely = 90% probably, likely = 66% probability, and more likely than not = 50% probability. Of course, the values in the chart are their assignments and may be completely wrong or slanted. But, for the sake of argument, lets take them as given. If you look at the middle column, you can see the affects of humans on the climate changes.

5 of the 7 are 50/50 chances
1 of the 7 is 66% chance
1 of the 7 is 1/2 66% chance (it qualifies answer as night parameter only)

Given these results, you are saying that the debate whether man is responsible is over? That is absolutely silly given not one single factor scored in the very likely category (which is only 90% likelihood).

Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get this? How did you make this "obvious" connection between the fact of them releasing the summary first, and you then stating that it must be because they are going to change the data to fit the summary later.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no conjecture on my part. The IPCC says so directly - "Changes (other than grammatical or minor editorial changes) made after acceptance by the Working Group or the Panel shall be those necessary to ensure consistency with the Summary for Policymakers or the Overview Chapter."

http://www.ipcc.ch/about/app-a.pdf
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 PM

That is absolutely incorrect and it is such attempts to classify any dissenting views as intellectually dishonest that sends up red flags for me as to the validity and honesty of those saying global warming is caused by humans. Good science does not say such things. But, those pushing an agenda at any cost do.

All science says such things. There is a set of data that clearly establishes a casual relationship.

Given these results, you are saying that the debate whether man is responsible is over?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. In this particular case, yes, the laws of thermodynamics apply and are the reasons for the conclusions and not the all powerful far reaching and insidious windmill cartels.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:59 PM

All I know is that with the ice caps on Mars melting, we're obviously transferring CO2 over there and it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the Sun being hotter. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given these results, you are saying that the debate whether man is responsible is over?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. In this particular case, yes, the laws of thermodynamics apply and are the reasons for the conclusions and not the all powerful far reaching and insidious windmill cartels

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. I guess if all you need is a 50/50 chance to say something is irrefutable then god bless ya. I hope ignorance is bliss for you.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 PM

The whole hockey stick thing was absurdly cherry picked data anyway.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:06 PM

wow. I guess if all you need is a 50/50 chance to say something is irrefutable then god bless ya. I hope ignorance is bliss for you.

I didn't say irrefutable, I said the debate is over. As in, there is absolutely no credible evidence other than wishing that it wasn't the case, while there is an enormous amount of credible evidence that it is the case. Hence debate is pointless. You see: large amount of evidence supporting one position and no evidence supporting another position tends not foster lively debate.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As in, there is absolutely no credible evidence other than wishing that it wasn't the case, while there is an enormous amount of credible evidence that it is the case. Hence debate is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still haven't seen this credible evidence in support of it. People keep claiming this over and over and over and over and over yet no one has ever been able to show it to me. There doesn't need to be credible evidence against, because it's the the global warming proponents who bear the responsibility of proof.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:30 PM

I still haven't seen this credible evidence in support of it.

Shockingly, this doesn't cause it not to exist.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still haven't seen this credible evidence in support of it.

Shockingly, this doesn't cause it not to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering how many people seem to strongly want me to believe in it, Occam's Razor points to it not existing. That's called science. Furthermore, if you can't back up you position with this "credible evidence" yourself, you have no real business arguing for it. Might as well argue that the moon is made of green cheese.