Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: 2/5 live....flopped set but draw hits with monkeys behind

theres nothing wrong with calling the turn and if you dont improve call on the river. if he has the flush hes giving u great odds to fill up on the river.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fish call it a "feeler" bet. They are betting their K or betting their baby flush and trying to see if anyone if going to come over the top of them. Or they are betting the nuts trying to see if they have anyone else interested in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure which one you mean then? There is a big difference between betting TPXK and betting a flush. And there is a big difference between betting a baby flush and the nutter.

[ QUOTE ]
I generally repop these little pussy bets pretty hard

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he has a flush, why are yoou raising. I highly doubt a fish is gonna fold any flush, better yet the nut one.

[ QUOTE ]
Calling can be the worst thing to do with these little bets, as you will often face a big bet on the river with little or no new information, aka tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are monkeys really able to pull a big bluff on the river in this situation? Asking ofcourse but it would seem that a monkey checks mediocre hands here more often then not and bets the goods. Also wouldn't a call be justifiable in trying to maintain some semblence of pot control atthis point. We do beat a ton of hands in his range but also loe to a ton.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please help a brother out.

How do you handle these 'nothing' bets? In your expirience, what do they normally mean? What is plan for river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, you already checked this hand to the fishy before he fired out that $50 bet. So obviously you didn't plan to get a lot of money in on this street. This bet tells you nothing about his holding. Why would you change your mind now?

As I said, just pretend the guy checked and do whatever you'd do in that situation. In this case, you were going to "check" as well, so call the $50 and move on to the river.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM

If you hit the nut flush on the turn, what would you do?

What if you hit a baby flush on the turn, what would you do?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Fisher,

Not sure if this nis so relevant to this hand because I don't know if I can give my opponent enough respect to be able to add/rule out hands with a lead/check. I think this hand is more geared to what he has and not what I think he thinks I have to be able to exploit me in that way.

As is, against this opponent I bet out the majority of the time but definetly check sometimes to induce a bet from either him or BT.

Creed,

I do agree with you. Was hoping to hear what others have to say about the 'ghey' bet since it happen to all of us from time to time. But I do agree and appreceiate the input.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fish call it a "feeler" bet. They are betting their K or betting their baby flush and trying to see if anyone if going to come over the top of them. Or they are betting the nuts trying to see if they have anyone else interested in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure which one you mean then? There is a big difference between betting TPXK and betting a flush. And there is a big difference between betting a baby flush and the nutter.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the hand you are playing... That little bet tells me that more times than not you are up against Ko 5-Q with maybe a redraw to the flush.

Sometimes this will be a made flush, but a smaller one, likely <T high is more common than a nut flush.

Rarely is this a nut flush bet.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally repop these little pussy bets pretty hard

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he has a flush, why are yoou raising. I highly doubt a fish is gonna fold any flush, better yet the nut one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are afraid of a bigger flush or they would have bet more. Keep in mind that bad players, especially ones that play for flushes think everyone else is too and they become hyper aware of flushes.

Also keep in mind your hand is VERY under represented too. They would likely never put you on a set...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calling can be the worst thing to do with these little bets, as you will often face a big bet on the river with little or no new information, aka tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are monkeys really able to pull a big bluff on the river in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

They dont think its a bluff. They put out their little feeler bet and do not get raised and think that their TPxK is the nuts and unless you give them other information by raising the turn or leading strongly on the river, they are going to try and get their moneys worth out of it.

But this puts you in a tough spot. You still haven't got a solid read on their hand and instead of facing a tiny $40 bet you are no facing a PSB.

[ QUOTE ]
Asking ofcourse but it would seem that a monkey checks mediocre hands here more often then not and bets the goods. Also wouldn't a call be justifiable in trying to maintain some semblence of pot control atthis point. We do beat a ton of hands in his range but also loe to a ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it is a limped pot against a tilt monkey as you describe him, then his range is pretty wide. Yes a flush is in there, but TP or TP + FD or two pair are much more likely. But since his range is wide and there are a lot of cards you are not going to want to see on the river, RR here strong. This is a live game, get a read, at the end of the day, this hand plays its self with a good read.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Dude, you should never under estimate your oponent.

So what did you do?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 AM

Percula,

There is something about your logic that baffles me. On one hand yoou say, 'sometimes this is a flush (and that comment on it being <T is ridiculous)' but then you advise to raise here. Would a raise really get any value from hands less then flushes here? And if so, are you saying that a raise from me may make him fold a baby flush?

Also, you said that, 'my hand is very underepresented (which it is) along with, 'they put out little feelers and if not raised they play TPGK like the nuts'. Then wouldn't I want to just call here since I have a golden opportunity for him to trap himself?

Also, look at stack sizes. Against his range (Flush,TPXK,pair+dr) I think a raise would commit me to calling a shove on his part and I'm not so sure that he reraises me with anything less then a flush here.

As for the hand, I just called. Still not sure if its the right thing to do, but I think it has plent enough merits to not be too bad.

River 4c. Board is 9c 8d 3c Kc 4c.

I check ??? He bets $200 (leaving $100 behind ??). Gross.....