Default Re: Why can\'t one be proud to be a straight white male

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are loads of normal women who are feminimists/pround to be women

Gays who are proud of that

Blacks the same

On and on and on

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply saying, "I'm proud to be a straight white male," in a public forum would probably be construed as being racist/sexist/homophobic etc. all at once.

These sentiments are equally racist, etc. when they come from minorities, but we oppress them, so it's justified. Just today I personally oppressed 6 blacks, 8 women, 3 gays, and a Jew just for good measure!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, if you just oppressed black female lesbian jews it would be an easier way to meet the oppression quota.

But srsly, white straight males run the country, publically and privately. Some club is usually either the product of: #1) minorities trying to find similar people to hang with or #2) developed to further some interest they think is being neglected. Straight white European-mut males are everywhere, so we don't need #1. And we can't really claim to being oppressed and be taken seriously, so there goes #2. There's probably other motivations along racial/ethnic lines, but I'd imagine those are the main two.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 AM

As a straight white male, I'd like to thank all the straight white men on the forum who don't make pathetic threads about how oppressed they are.

You're a dying breed.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And we can't really claim to being oppressed and be taken seriously,

[/ QUOTE ]

Does affirmative action oppress white people or black people?

I am an engineering major. In order to get a merit scholarship to my institution, as a white male, I have to meet some pretty lofty academic standards. In order for a black or a woman to get a merit scholarship to my institution, they need to have a high school diploma. A black woman only needs a pulse.

I don't even consider that case to be a problem because it's all done voluntarily (I do consider affirmative action to be a problem), but I think a case could be made that white males are indeed oppressed in some ways. In the case of affirmative action this case would be quite simple.

As far as being oppressed "by society" or "overall"...how do you define that? I will say that I DEFINITELY don't think women or blacks meet this standard today. Gays possibly. I can't really think of any ways they are favored over straight people off-hand, unlike blacks and women over white men. Just my totally subjective opinion.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 AM

bisonbison,

Just to show that I am always on the lookout for truly oppressed minorities (unlike blacks and women), I came to the aid of the zoosexual community when our very own liberal and politically correct moderator revealed his hatred for them.

Link
Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 AM

Sure, you're free to argue that. But in the grand scheme from birth to where you are now, most people won't consider you "oppressed" in the way they consider minorities "oppressed". It's like if there is a race, and you have shoes with a 2lb weight on them, and others have shoes with a 10lb weight on them, it's kinda hard to get all up in arms and be taken seriously by everyone with more weights than you. It doesn't matter if you think the weights are different, society's perceptions of those weights matter with respect to the political/social reaction to white straight male suport groups.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bisonbison,

Just to show that I am always on the lookout for truly oppressed minorities (unlike blacks and women), I came to the aid of the zoosexual community when our very own liberal and politically correct moderator revealed his hatred for them.

Link

[/ QUOTE ]

From that thread I want to quote my favorite post in the history of 2+2, made by anatta:

[ QUOTE ]
As long as the animal is over 18 in people years, I'm okay with it. I'll tolerate black guys having sex with white animals. And while its not my scene, I got no problem with same sex relations between people and animals. I draw the line at interracial, interspecie, gay sex. That just ain't natural.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 AM

bills,

It's great that you want to equate the molestation of domesticated animals to sex between consenting adults, but it's beside the point.

So you want to be proud of an accident of birth. What's stopping you? All those big bad opinions out there?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bills,

It's great that you want to equate the molestation of domesticated animals to sex between consenting adults, but it's beside the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOAHHH! That's some pretty strong hate there! You must have missed the part of the thread where I painstakingly linked to peer-reviewed articles from scientific journals that stated that human-animal sexual interaction is often consensual, and that in fact animals often eschewed sex with their own species in favor of humans!

But I suppose that would contradict your agenda of hate.

Perhaps you should change your screen name to bigotbigot.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you want to be proud of an accident of birth. What's stopping you? All those big bad opinions out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss the part of this thread where I stated my distaste for such pride?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are loads of normal women who are feminimists/pround to be women

Gays who are proud of that

Blacks the same

On and on and on

[/ QUOTE ]
Simply saying, "I'm proud to be a straight white male," in a public forum would probably be construed as being racist/sexist/homophobic etc. all at once.
<font color="white"> . </font>
These sentiments are equally racist, etc. when they come from minorities, but we oppress them, so it's justified. Just today I personally oppressed 6 blacks, 8 women, 3 gays, and a Jew just for good measure!

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, folks, it's really very simple:

As already said, proclaiming pride for something that is a matter of pure chance, e.g. being born white, is like proclaiming pride for hitting a number in rouletter. You were just lucky, pal.

However, when the attribute being celebrated concerns a minority, and, moreover, a minority that has been in the past (or still is) oppressed, then there is an added significance to that atttribute. It acquires the significance of rejecting or accepting the social status of that minority, i.e. by proclaiming pride, one is essentially proclaiming one's willingness to (a) accept one's fate as member of X, and (b) fight discrimination against X.

The whole issue reduces to whether or not X is still a percecuted minority. For example, you can no longer say, and expect us to keep a straight face, that you are proud to be a believer in Round Earth.

Mickey Brausch