Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: New to the board

If you are feeling up for it, throw $400 of your money into stars. This will handcuff a little bit though, as even $10 are pushing your bankroll, and you'll have to see some good results. I suggest staying in fulltilt (as it is, IMO, MUCH softer than stars. players are just awful) until you get it up to about $1200-$1400 and then throw half the money in stars.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 PM

I also recommend the 180's on Stars and would give the 10's a try. If you lose a significant amount ($300+) move down to the 4's. Both are pretty soft though.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM

here's my story re: this site: i had read harrington's books and played a lot online and won some, not tons (made about $3k on pokerroom over many months last year, never any huge wins). had the fundamentals down, but really that's it. deposited $50 in full tilt after pokerroom shut down to the us market last fall (on a mac, these are the only mac supported sites). i read this forum a bit like you and finally posted in "books/publications" forum for suggestions about other books besides harrington's. someone there told me to start reading the mtt forum instead, so i did. my mind was blown. especially the anthology.

i put what i learned there to use and soon won a $5 mtt on ftp for about $700. then 8th in a $10 and then 2nd in a $25, for about $3k, all in one week. my roll had gone from $50 to about $4k in ten days. about two weeks later i qualified for a $150 and got 3rd, for about $6500. my bankroll went from $50 to $10K in like 3 weeks (you can verify all this on pokerdb). was i running well? obviously. but it would never, EVER, have been possible without pouring over the anthology and reading the hand histories in the mtt forum. do not be afraid to post your hands and ask questions. that's what i did. people are very nice and you will learn TONS.

this is not meant to sound like a brag post, but rather an endorsement, and in a way a thank you, of this site. i was basically in the same place you are at now when i started reading here, so get in there, read the anthology, post some hands and start making some money. gl, cu at the tables.

- fsoyars
Old 01-31-2007, 09:32 PM

As a fellow newbie with an even smaller post count, I want to second 'your thanks to the forum' message. I have been playing online poker for about four months now, and have been lurking on this site (particularly the MTT and STT forums) for the majority of that time. If it wasn't for the obsessive reading of everything strategic on here, I surely wouldn't have had the recent upswing in results (4 final tables [incl. 2 wins] in 200+ fields in the past month. Many thanks to all (and the anthology rules!) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]