Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Player buys in over the limit and wants his money back

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I'd feel a little bad but I wouldn't give back his money. It would never even occur to me to ask for the $500 back if I lost the hand, so his claim that he would have given it back means nothing to me. If I had lost the pot, he would have kept it all. I figure the reverse is only fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too would never think to ask for the extra back after the hand was over, but I'm not sure if this really effects what the "right" thing to do here is.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I'd feel a little bad but I wouldn't give back his money. It would never even occur to me to ask for the $500 back if I lost the hand, so his claim that he would have given it back means nothing to me. If I had lost the pot, he would have kept it all. I figure the reverse is only fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too would never think to ask for the extra back after the hand was over, but I'm not sure if this really effects what the "right" thing to do here is.

[/ QUOTE ]

THe right thing to do is keep the money. That action is long over with.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 AM

So, as I suspected, almost everyone agreed it's too late, just keep the money.

Anyway, I asked a friend of mine what he thought when I went for a cigarette break and he said "no way in hell you should give him any money back, but if you do, you should flip for it or something to add an element of chance at least".

Towards the end he was really insistant about it, although he was just asking for $250 back at this point. I didn't want him to leave, so along the lines of the coinflip suggested by my friend, I offered him this deal -- any time the third guy folded and it was just us in the pot heads up preflop, any time he didn't have a pocket pair, he could tell me "put in $250" and I would, and we would check it down and whoever won would get the $250 and that would be the end of that. This seemed to make him happy so we agreed and he stopped nagging about giving the money back. Then, within about 10 minutes the morning crowd started to filter in and the table filled up. So, there was pretty much zero chance for him to collect on my offer. I was actually trying to formulate a new deal to offer him, but he got busted again by an old guy and left for good. All's well that ends well, I guess.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Question:
He doubles up through you with the $2000.
You realize that he bought in over the $1500 cap.
Do you ask/demand for the $500 back?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM

i think its awful that you tried to give some of the money back at all.
also, i think the money was yours the very instant you won the pot, even if he at that very moment then "realized" he overbought. its too late at that point imo. but i dont play nl, so i might be way wrong.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:41 PM

"Shissshhhh.......I'm stacking your chips."
Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM

If this man cries like a baby over 500$ and begs about it constantly... why in god's name is he playing 5-10 NL ??

Sounds to me he needs to check in at gamblers anonymous. And I'm not exactly kidding on that either.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:58 PM

The fact that there was a $1500 limit is meaningless.

He was happy to buy in for 2k to try and get his money back. Nobody noticed. Even if you had noticed and decided to say nothing, that would be fine. I say this in the sense that if you have a tilter, why piss him off? He obviously wanted the $$ on the table. You are risking 2k of your own.

Had he won a 2k pot off of you, would he have given the money back? Highly unlikely. And since it is a fantasy situation, he could claim anything.

I think that your attempt to placate him was alright, given that you wanted to keep him at the table. Letting him pick a spot to put in $250 leaves you at worst a -$105 equity. (He catches you with 27o in a blind, he has J10s and makes the move).

Not only that, he might be trying so hard to 'catch' you for the $250, he might play even worse (is that possible?)

I think you handled the situation just fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Ah yes, bizarre angle shooting nuttiness from degenerate gamblers playing on tilt with borrowed money. Takes me back [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Obviously he wouldn't get a cent out of me. He was the one who chose to buy in big, he can deal with the consequences. The max buyin isn't to protect him from himself, it's to keep the game sized in a "sweet spot" for NL holdem. Since the other people at the table didn't object to his big buyin, it's effectively a case of of the rules of the table being temporarily changed by mutual consent. He has no legitimate gripe. He, however, does have a big angle to shoot, and as you said he worked it to the max.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Soooooo, by his logic,

I'm playing 1/2 no limit. There's a player who really hates his chips and is feeding the whole table. Every time he busts, he rebuys, but the last few times have been at increasingly lower amounts.

This time he buys for less than the minimum. Next hand, it's my turn to stack the guy and I do. He tries to buy in for the same amount again, but the dealer wakes up and informs him of the minimum. He complains that he did it before, to be honest no one at the table cares, but the dealer says the last time was a mistake enforces the rule (no complaints about the dealer enforcing the rule now).

I suppose under the logic of the player at your table, this guy owes me the difference between the rebuy and the minimum?

Hmmmmmmmm, I never thought of that angle, and to be honest, if it ever happens again, I never will.