Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: AQ 2/4

I almost always 3 bet AQo prefolp to isolate. Of all the hands he could open with, you only need to worry about AA,KK,AK, and you still have outs on QQ.

If im tilting a bit, I play this hand the same way. If I am calm and thinking, I call down the flop/turn/river bets and expect to win a good % of the time.

-Matt
Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That 3-bet doesn't make me happy. I think I fold the turn UI. Given the PF 3-bet and the flop raise, I don't think he's still pushing KK here. I'd say AK or AJ is way too likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I would hate folding this hand on the turn, I can't disagree with you here. The villain saw us 3-bet pre-flop and raise the flop and he doesn't seem to care.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:30 PM

that's how I would have played it, but I think a good case could be made for finding a fold.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 PM

Sorry, wasn't clear. I 3-bet PF against most players too. Villain 3-betting the flop makes me sad.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain 3-betting the flop makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at the time. My exact thought process was "[censored], he has AK" but I was stubborn enough to call him down. He did have AK.

I think calling the 3-bet and folding the turn is best.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain 3-betting the flop makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at the time. My exact thought process was "[censored], he has AK" but I was stubborn enough to call him down. He did have AK.

I think calling the 3-bet and folding the turn is best.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need villain's agression factor pretty badly here. Also, If you make this fold, you need to stop 3 betting aq.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we need villain's agression factor pretty badly here. Also, If you make this fold, you need to stop 3 betting aq.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a ridiculous statement.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 PM

I assume you mean the second part? I didn't mean it in a "you jerk, you don't know how to play aq!" Kind of way. I meant that if he's willing to give up on it on the turn (and maybe he should be, I'm not sure), then I think in general he should stay way from 3 betting this particular hand against a tag (I certainly should have specified this). If this seems off the mark to you I'd like to know why, as the answer isn't obvious to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you mean the second part? I didn't mean it in a "you jerk, you don't know how to play aq!" Kind of way. I meant that if he's willing to give up on it on the turn (and maybe he should be, I'm not sure), then I think in general he should stay way from 3 betting this particular hand against a tag (I certainly should have specified this). If this seems off the mark to you I'd like to know why, as the answer isn't obvious to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, why would 3-bet AQ pre-flop? We 3-bet AQ pre-flop to isolate a loose raiser. We also assume that AQ beat some hands in his range, AQ is about 50/50 to some hands in his range, and we run the risk of AQ being totally dominated.

As the hand progresses, we of course can narrow down our opponents range of hands, and here based on his stats, his most likely hands are AK and AJ, at worst, we tie w/AQ.

Basically, my point is, we don't always have to go to showdown when 3-bet AQ pre-flop and flop top pair.