Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: 10s raised on the button to tricky flop

First response I read while just reading the OP's first post that did not include him raising: "Raise; weakish donkbets are a weakness in my book."

Yes, you can float and get away if turn is a heart or try to steal if turn is a heart and he checks to you.

I would mostly put villain on a FD or 97/75.

What did he show down?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:11 AM

I'd call the $4 bet and see what happens on the turn.

And $4.5 seems like a big PFR if the bb is only .5.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 AM

Yes why $4.5 preflop!? After this preflop raise I think it is an easy fold. Didn't notice it initially.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 AM

I am taking some shots at NL100 and not doing so well. Villain here seems a little loose, he has been involved in more than his share of action recently. My image is 'i hope' TAG.

CO $4.5
Button Hero $45.75 [10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
SB $36.93
BB Villain $36.93

<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls 0.5, <font color="red">Hero raises $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">sb folds</font>, bb calls $4.5, <font color="#666666">CO folds</font>

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 players
pot = 9.75

<font color="red">BB bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raised $16</font>, <font color="red">BB raised $29.99 All-in</font>, Hero calls $13.00.

Villain wins with pair of queens showing [Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

My thinking was that his range was middle pairs JJ&gt;, flush draw, KQ JQ also maybe + set, although he left the draw open to the flush which indicates no-set.

Villain put me on a steal PF, otherwise he was calling my flop RR light - well it was pretty light anyway. I think the RR takes this pot somewhere near 50% of the time, at least it does at 40NL where i am used to playing. The trouble is that it left me committed and with the flush draw he could easily put me on a flush draw and call. It seems to me this is one of those spots where its hard to move someone from a hand. In retrospect, i think 80%PSB RR would be better, if they are gonna dump they will and i can still get away from it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain put me on a steal PF, otherwise he was calling my flop RR light

[/ QUOTE ]Heh, he had two face cards. That's a monster, don't you know? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The trouble is that it left me committed and with the flush draw he could easily put me on a flush draw and call.

[/ QUOTE ]It sounds to me like you are focusing on one portion of villain's range (a flush draw) and basing your play on that rather than really looking at villains entire range and picking the play that maximizes value against all of the cards he could be holding.

If he has a flush draw with a low suited connector then you are slightly ahead in the hand, but you probably won't make him fold. A raise is good against this hand, though not great. You will be comitted to the hand and probably have to get it all in on the turn in order to protect your pair. A call is OK because you can price him out of his draw on the turn much more cheaply and when you are a much bigger favorite. Plus, when a bad turn card comes you'll be able to get away with only a modest investment in the hand.

If he has a flush draw with overs (say KJ) then you are behind in the hand (if only slightly). Here a raise is bad because you don't want to be putting more money in bad, especially when a couple of his overcard outs you'll not know that he hit (or you might even fold bad on the turn when an overcard comes that ISN'T on he holds). However, on the turn you'll be ahead and able to price him out, just like in the above scenerio. A call is good because you aren't THAT far behind (basically flipping) and a fold would be bad for the same reasons a call is good.

If he has a queen, obviously a raise is bad, fold is probably best, and a call is reasonable if you think you can take the pot away on the turn (especially if the flush comes in or an ace hits).

If he has a pair lower than tens that he is playing agressivly (he "put you on AK"), or if he has overcards,, then a re-raise will take the pot down now wile you are a ahead, a call probably lets you take the pot on the turn and a fold is obviously bad.

To me the line between calling and folding is thin; his most probably holdings are either a queen or a flush draw, but if I think villain is weak at all I will probably call and see what the turn brings and how he responds. If villain is agressive then I will probably try to find a better spot.

Once again, I'm no expert. Just throwing my thoughts out there and seeing what sticks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]