Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: 50nl: JJ facing donk bets, completely lost

On preflop: I don't mind the pot-size raise. I'd raise more if I were OOP, but I don't think you mind seeing a flop that much. Standard for me would be $1.75.

Flop: My feeling is that a call is good against a LAGgy player who a) bets out a lot in this spot and b) calls you loosely if you raise. In that case, you might be ahead of a 10, but the 10 is likely to fold and a weak A probably won't. Against a tighter, ABC kind of player, I like a raise because it's likely to fold out weak A's (a big part of Villain's range given preflop and flop, I'd guess). That $1 bet looks like a scared marginal hand that doesn't want to let you cbet. Vs. this type of player, the flop bet tells you you're probably beat, but a raise is still profitable as a bluff, IMO.

The stats you give lean me to think this player is more of the second type. AF of 4.8 is aggressive, but it also indicates that this player folds instead of calling a lot. So I vote for a flop raise, then shut down if called.

Turn: I'm inclined to fold here. The bet is really weak, but you're not ahead of much at all anymore. And I don't like raising, because this could be a 10 that was scared on the flop and now is trying to trap a big A.

River: Whatever. I call because it's sooooo cheap.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM

For those of you advocating a larger raise preflop, are you saying increase the size of your standard raise or increase the size of your raise when you have a good hand?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you advocating a larger raise preflop, are you saying increase the size of your standard raise or increase the size of your raise when you have a good hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard raise is to 4 times the big blind + 1 big blind per limper. Blind battles are a bit different, since there are no real limpers, but if the SB open completes, I'm raising to either $2 or $2.50 in the BB.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM

I will buy raising more to punish the SB for limping, as long as you raise the same amount in that same situation for any hand you raise.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 PM

If you're in the BB and SB limps, always raise 4-5x BB. Vary it up, but not just cause you have JJ.

Raise the flop to define hand, fold after that. I hope you didn't think you had close to the best hand and were calling only for info here; everything on the board has you beat.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising purely "to know where I stand" is crap like it always is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this isn't purely a "raise for information," but I was raising the flop too mainly because I thought it would let me know exactly what was going on.

In limit, raising the flop would be questionable because you raise the flop and then villain just calls and sngs you on the turn or calls the turn and donks the river and now you still don't know what's going on.

Here, though, I can re-pot the flop and feel pretty confident in my interpretation of villain's response. I don't see how he calls without an ace, so if I get called I can check down or give up to further aggression without giving it a second thought. Obviously if he folds I win the pot.

Calling down looks nice on this particular hand because we can see that villain bet the hand like a pussy on future streets, but we didn't know it was going to play out that way on the flop. I would rather put in a hand-defining raise right away while the pot is manageable than have to face the possibility of larger bets on the turn and river. That sort of makes this a "raise to find out where I stand" raise.

Where am I going wrong with this?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:46 PM

The PFR is 1.50 to 2.00 or just to 1.5?

Anyway, I would normally raise it to 2 or 2.50 here, you are in position so seeing flops here is good.

Post-flop you can raise the flop, but calling down is fine too, depending on how aggro your opponent is. The only really bad cards to come would be Ks and Qs. You don't have to call much if you are behind and what worse hand is going to call your raise?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, the advice in this thread is horrible.

preflop raise is too small.

postflop is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think raising this flop will only get called by hands that have you beat. If villain can lay down A small then a raise is good but I generally just like to call the flop.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

postflop is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think raising this flop will only get called by hands that have you beat. If villain can lay down A small then a raise is good but I generally just like to call the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And calling when everything on the board beats his hand is perfect?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

postflop is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And calling when everything on the board beats his hand is perfect?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only losing to an A and he only had to call another few dollars to see if his pair of jacks were best.