Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Pokerspot Software Now Opensource

[ QUOTE ]
the second quote is lmao amusing.
[ QUOTE ]
but I defy anyone reading this to refute that our small group of friends really has changed the poker world

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks to Dutch Boyd, the poker world is aware that there is some level of risk that site X will default on their financial obligations. And I defy you to tell me that Dutch drinking his own piss on camera hasn't made the world a better place... not just the poker world, but the ENTIRE FREAKIN WORLD.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Default The license of this source is not specified

As a bit of an expert in Open Source and Free Software licensing, I'd note that the SVN repository doesn't make it clear what the license of the software. I've written to Robert and encouraged him to release the software under GPL explicitly. For the moment, even though you can download, you should not do anything with it because it isn't clear you have a legal right to do so until the license is clearly stated.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: The license of this source is not specified

Thanks for pointing that out. I've added the BSD license to the /doc folder in subversion. Previously, the license type was noted on the main page of the project, but I'm not sure whether or not that was legally sufficient.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM

Anyone try compiling this yet?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:25 PM

Yes, I initially tried with Visual Studio .net 2003. The server compiled after MySQL was installed on my machine (it needed MySQL.h). The Lounge server would not compile due to an incompatible STL library (SGI). With regards to the STL, I may need to rip out the SGI version and replace with the native compiler version. Also, some header files have been renamed by Microsoft since this development.

Everything else compiled and ran without problems.

I suspect if you used Visual Studio 6, then it would all work as this appears to be the version that it was developed under. This is something I will try on the weekend.

The biggest problem at the moment with the package is that the database schemas are not defined anywhere, so I'm talking to Robert about getting those. I reconstructed some of the database, enough to get it running and it worked fine.

The package does include pre-compiled binaries that are ready to run, but you still need to setup MySQL and a database.

The other thing missing is how to start everything. There are 3 servers and I'm not sure in what order they start up in - more research required.

Apart from that the code seems well written and should serve as a good example of how to write a poker server/client.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you get ahold of the schemas. I've looked through the code a bit, but haven't tried compiling it yet. That'll be a project for next month.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 PM

I added the (horrible) schema to the repository last week. It lives in the /doc directory. I don't know how much time I'll have to work on this, but I do want to fix the build, start porting the client to C# and get the server to scale to a respectable level.

If you have patches to submit, don't be shy.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

We've talked it over, and we're opensourcing the pokerspot code. It's ancient and ugly, but it should lower the barrier to entry and eventually maybe it will have the desired effect of eliminating the rake altogether and making poker a fair game for the players. Information wants to be free. So here. Come and get it. E-mail me if you need help.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG, rake free poker!!!1 That would be like, totally amazi..

oh wait.. what's that WPEX thing again?

yes, we're all getting fleeced (WPEX aside). but the fact is the fish just don't care about rake etc. they barely know what it is. that's what makes them fish - they just want to play at the highest profile branded site that seems trustworthy, and maybe get some bonus money that seems like a good deal. so the good players go where the fish are and pay the rake, and still make a profit.

i think you're overstating your case about the profitability of poker across the board for most good players - there are a lot of other reasons otherwise good players go broke, primarily bad bankroll management, tilt, and other gambling/spending.

sorry you didn't get to make bazillions and fleece all the fish as bad as your former competitors. sour grapes much?

that aside anything that might lower rake across the industry would naturally be a good thing for players, and while I don't think this will help, thanks for thinking of us anyway. best of luck in the future.

PoorTom
Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 AM

The schema only has 5 tables in it. However, the ERDs you gave should make it relatively easy to redefine the missing tables.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM

You should know that the operational version of Pokerspot only ever had 5 tables. Pretty bad, I know. The ERDs you find in the /doc directory were design spec only, never implemented.

There's many, many things wrong with the code. The horrible database and nearly non-existant back office spring to mind. Besides obviously being written entirely in an aging language (C++) and dependant on stale libraries.

Anyway, I just got the code built with VS6 and should have precompiled binaries up for download soon, for anyone unable to build it themselves. I'll post the hash along with the download, and maybe somebody else can confirm that they get the same hash from the build.

Unfortunately I can't budget much time for this project. We're still a ways off from being able to demo gameplay, but getting there..