Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Calling the river sorta light

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised at how strong the consensus is for folding.

Hand 1: What range do you put a typical villain on here? How often does villain that that line with a 9? How often does he have a pp? How often is it XcXc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say this is something between 9x and quad fives like 80% of the time. Almost all of the rest of it will be bluffs you can beat.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: What hand can you put villain on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have missed a c/r on the turn, a marginal overpair, filled up on river, hit his straight draw with 75, hit an 8 with 8cXc.

In both of these hands you can only beat a bluff and IMO your average 50nl player just don't bluff in these situations often enough for you to show a profit by calling.

With strong reads either of these could turn into a call, but I think calling an unknown player in these spots is spew.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM

I kind of picked up some timing tells in these hands (hesitant flops calls, quick turn checks, oddly-timed river bets) and in both hands villain had KQs for a missed flush draw.. However, I think I call here and am wrong too often. I should probably only be calling these with a tell/read.

-acidca
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 PM

i kinda like hand #1 and have made calls like that with succes before. hand #2 id rarely call an oop river bet unless you really have the guy pegged. it looks more like a value bet of some kind.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Hand 1- This may be extraordinarily lame at 6-max, but limping AQ in EP at a full ring table and folding to an LP raise is just fine. If you flop TPTK and play for a medium-sized pot (willing to fold if the pot gets big), you can risk a little to win a decent pot with AQ OOP post flop. Once you raise, you're cb could have been a little bigger. Once you check the turn and villain checks behind, I would rather bluff with an $8 bet at the river rather than check/call. If I check at the river, then I'd check/fold rather than check/call.

Hand 2 - If you raise here with AJo, then raise much more than just 4xBB. You don't want to play OOP post flop. Try to win the limpers' $. Raise to at least $4, and maybe even $5. If you get called by one person behind you, cb this flop for the pot to represent an overpair. If you get called by 2 people, like you did here, I wouldn't even continuation bet. At least one of these guys will float you're cb on this kind of low-card & draw-y board. Then you end up with nothing but overcards in a bloated pot OOP by the turn. As played, I'd check/fold this particular flop with two players behind me.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised at how strong the consensus is for folding.

Hand 1: What range do you put a typical villain on here? How often does villain that that line with a 9? How often does he have a pp? How often is it XcXc?

Hand 2: What hand can you put villain on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

well pay attention to the limits, at these limits i feel like people call with all kinds of garbage that beats ace high but would be dominated otherwise. I guess people draw alot also at these levels, but then you bet for value when you have a good "made" hand for alot of the times that they have such a worst made hand. Some people get cute with their missed draws at these levels also but i think calling here you're wrong too often to not be leaking.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you check the turn and villain checks behind, I would rather bluff with an $8 bet at the river rather than check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well pay attention to the limits, at these limits i feel like people call with all kinds of garbage that beats ace high but would be dominated otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major part of my motivation for calling in these hands was the lack of possible garbage made hands (and the large amount of possible missed draws). I mean, look at hand 2. The range of hands villain could have here that is beating me seems rather miniscule, does it not? Try to think of specific hands he might play this way.
I will add that villains in both hands were semi-decent for these stakes.