Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Bacon in the oven

[ QUOTE ]
bacon is best when cooked for a long time at a low temperature. It should simmer in its own fat. Do it in a 275F oven until it's ready - I'm guessing about 1-1.5 hours. That's how I did my homemade bacon tonight, and it was delightful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, low and slow is the best way, though I'm not sure I've ever left bacon in the oven for an hour and a half.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bacon is best when cooked for a long time at a low temperature. It should simmer in its own fat. Do it in a 275F oven until it's ready - I'm guessing about 1-1.5 hours. That's how I did my homemade bacon tonight, and it was delightful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, low and slow is the best way, though I'm not sure I've ever left bacon in the oven for an hour and a half.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I have no idea how long slices take. I cut mine into lardons, and they really did take over an hour. I did start it at 200 for a while though. Probably take ed furlong's advice on cooking time.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:43 AM

Might sound like blasphemy around here, but I buy the stuff you put in the microwave for 20 seconds. I have been eating it so long that I actually prefer the taste. Plus, wait an hour for bacon? Really?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 AM

I never cook bacon in the oven, opting to pan sautee it in a little water or olive oil to get it started. I suspect it might be better in a properly controlled oven, the heat evenly distributed, allowing the majority of the fat to melt off of the smoked meat. Often when panfrying the bacon curls so that the part not making contact with the pan doesnt cook enough, yielding large parts of fat in the finished bacon.

I know that you have to keep the temperature on the low side or the bacon will burn. I really dont know about an oven, but I'm guessing 275-300. Make sure you have a lipped pan (like a roasting pan, not a cookie sheet) to keep the grease from dripping onto the the floor of the oven, or else you will have a nasty grease fire, a mess to clean up, smoke filled kitchen, and most importantly, ruined bacon.

-J
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 AM

I've been playing with process of trying to get bacon perfect in the oven the last month or two. I've gotten it real close but haven't nailed it yet. From my experience it should be a bake/broil combo. I do 350 for x minutes with a flip, then broil on high with a flip. You gotta keep a close eye on it while broiling because there will definitely be hot spots where the bacon it cooking more quickly on your cookie sheet. (I line it with foil)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM

This is far and away my favorite method, as I can get the bacon crispy and limp at the same time. I place the bacon in a cold oven and set the temp at 400, it then takes about 20 minutes, but keep an eye on it the last couple of minutes because they will get too crispy in a flash.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
try the cooking forum

[/ QUOTE ]

we should have a food forum.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:08 AM

WTF?!?!?!? get a bacon machine

Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Low and slow pretty much goes for cooking anything. If you have the time, there's not much that won't turn out better.

[ QUOTE ]
How can bacon be too crispy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't touch crispy bacon, but I'll get pounds and pounds of soft bacon.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try the cooking forum

[/ QUOTE ]

we should have a food forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could Dids handle the pressure of modding 2 forums though?