Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: The war starts?

Americaaaa, Americaaaa, God shed his grace on theeeeeee
Old 01-21-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Americaaaa, Americaaaa, God shed his grace on theeeeeee

[/ QUOTE ]

This land is your land, this land is my land
From the Redwood Forest all the way around the world to the Redwood Forest
The Canadian mountains and all the Gulf Stream waters
This land is made for you and me.

As I went walking, I saw a sign there;
And on the sign there, It said, 'GREAT BRITAIN.'
But on the other side, It didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 AM

W.T.F.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:58 AM

Christ, I feel like an Iraqi...
Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not equate DOJ action with US law. The US courts decide law; not the DOJ. IMO, and several gambling law experts like Mrs. Shulman and Prof, Rose, the UIGEA does not really change US law all that much.
Just because the DOJ appears to be starting a legal was over online gambling does not mean that it will win.
Considering the WTO case, the international view and other US case law, I think that the DOJ will eventually lose this war. But it will be a very rocky road.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the DOJ doesn't really have to win in court. They just have to show that they're really serious and make a huge amount of trouble for any corporations involved in internet gambling. Most of these guys won't really care if they could possibly win in court after a long drawn out legal battle (which contains the possibility of jail time for executives if they lose!). They'll just decide it's not worth the trouble, cut a deal, and get out of the business.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:03 AM

At least there are people treating Iraq like a proper democracy.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the DOJ doesn't really have to win in court. They just have to show that they're really serious and make a huge amount of trouble for any corporations involved in internet gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious??? If the DOJ does'nt win in court what the hell will people be scared of?? Not a damn thing, if they lose first case or 2 more than likely a precedent will be set and poeople will be operating with no fear whatsoever.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 AM

the problem is, it probably wont make it to court. look how many people already pulled out. every major corporation. UB has 3 ways to get money on their site. Mastercard, visa, and westernunion... I hope some one does make it to court and that the DOJ looses. cause i hate this law.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 AM

Let me see if I got this straight: Britian has been our best friend since 911, and they also have enthusiastically embraced internet gambling sites. We decide to go after their conpanies for possible criminal violations even though all their gambling companies pulled out of the US even before UIGEA was signed, and even though we are violating the WTO verdict and the still standing judgement of our courts that the wire act only applies to sports betting?

How isolated in the world do we want to be? Bush and his cronies have lost their minds. It seems the only way they think they have to get out from under the stupid decisions they have made is to make even more stupid decisions.

I have a question though. Don't subpeonas have to be signed off by a judge, and hasn't a court of competent jurisdiction already said the wire act doesn't apply to internet poker just sports betting? So, how did they find a judge to sign off?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, i think you misread the article.
I got the impression the DOJ was going to investigate the investment banks that brought the gaming companies public.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. The investment bankers have committed no obvious crime. But they probably have lots of information which may be used against their gaming clients.