Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: getting annoyed with critics

[ QUOTE ]
what I like to do is talk back and pretend you're a fish. Mis-use terms like reverse implied odds, exaggereate the odds of you winning, stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd only use terms that the critic is throwing out. Don't bring up any terms. That way you're just reflecting back at him.

Nice avatar, btw.

b
Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 PM

I agree that pretending to be a fish, at low limits, is the right approach. I don't misuse terms, though. Instead I start a discussion about "poker face".
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what I like to do is talk back and pretend you're a fish. Mis-use terms like reverse implied odds, exaggereate the odds of you winning, stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd only use terms that the critic is throwing out. Don't bring up any terms. That way you're just reflecting back at him.

Nice avatar, btw.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

And ty.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM

why not ask them to come play you at higher stakes shorthanded if possible?

if not, tell them "oh yeah I shouldnt' have done that? cool man thanks for the free advice, by the way when's your book coming out I'd love to read it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]"

Or um, you can just ignore them really. My presence speaks for itself. When I play, I'm the best player, when I lose, I'm the best player, when I win I'm def the best player, so ummm... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...this is a natural human response isn't it? I'm not a bot

[/ QUOTE ]
At the poker table, you need to get a grip on your "natural human responses".
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 AM

You are approaching this completely wrong. Critics are telling you how they play. That is worthy of note-taking.

On top of that, if you play your cards right (pun intended), you can also accomplish two other goals. First, you can prod him for more info by acting like a wounded fish and second, you can misguide him as to how you actually do play in certain situations. All of this is hugely +EV.

And finally, when you do eventually start syphoning off his stack, say how lucky you are and thank him for the help.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:56 AM

I like to agree with them. If i win and they critizise me i usually say something like. "Yup i played it bad and got really lucky.". Or "sorry". Feels good to hussle them a little. And i know they will continue to play bad with me
Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 AM

bit of a bump, but never mind...

How do you stop people who critiscise everything you do effect the plays you make?

I'm learning NLHU and have been doing alright, no stats to hand, but around 20 something games or so, and won 14 of them (only been playing since last night) but the last one I played against an aggresive Scottish guy and his chat was quite nasty and completely effected my play, and I couldnt help reacting to him (pointing out his stats are much worse than mine made no difference...)

I know you can block all chat, but most people are alright, I just need to know how to stop the w*nkers on there affecting my play.

Thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you can block all chat, but most people are alright, I just need to know how to stop the w*nkers on there affecting my play.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, any comments or chat made by players can contain useful information and that's something you don't want to ignore.

As far as a nit affecting you, that's a personal problem you need work on. Perhaps you are playing poker at times when other personal life issues are on your mind. This is not a good time to play poker.

At the poker table, you should really be objective and not emotional. You can and should use your subjective gut instinct when necessary but for the most part, you should be mentally level.

And as far as a chatty Cathy who is irritating you, I will sometimes respond with a string of lies. I will lie about everything from my cards to how I'm feeling to what I do for a living. If you can get into a good rythym of lying, you will essentially be placing your opponent on a much lower level than you and you will be able to absorb pretty much anything they can say and not have it affect you. This is my personal way of dealing with this in some circumstances and you may need to find your own way but I hope I have helped you.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:01 PM

A find that a great stock response is:

"yeah I'm not great at this game. How should I have played that hand?"