Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Blind defense scenario that comes up fairly often

"semi-thinking player too much opportunity to exploit us by taking free cards when they ned to and value-betting when they like"

If I felt there was a chance that this guy is semi-thinking I wouldn't take that line. I'm talking about this spot in general. I would say that most of the bad player in these games are bad because their play makes no sense and is borderline irrational. It's letting them think one thing that makes it work.

I'll never forget, like 3 or 4 years back I was playing in a tournament (live). I raise AA and this guy calls. Flop is Axx. He checks, I check. Turn whatever I bet he calls, river I bet big he calls wit 2nd pair. His buddy goes, "did you even have an ace?" and he said "no, but he checked the flop, why would he have an ace?" that's hardly relevant but what i'm talking about is getting value out of bad hands when I know i'm ahead.

I'm not saying i play like this vs. everybody. In fact, most of my posts promote straightforward play, which I am a strong believer in. But sometimes I slowplay 2nd pair. Bet/call down bottom pair no kicker. Poker is very reactionary and when I learned to bet weak hands to induce bluffs my variance did go up. But so did my winrate.

Whip it.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Blind defense scenario that comes up fairly often

one more thing

i think i bet/fold a little more often than just the TQKAs but maybe its just bc a lot of the players i play against like to let blind defenders hang themselves by waiting until the turn to re-pop with all sorts of strong hands.

if the turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], we bet and get raised, why is this not a believable slowplay? it's not like we're getting raised by A2 or 22 here...

i'm interested to see how this thread goes. it might just be that having a read changes things but maybe there's more general ideas regarding this spot.

bbbushu

edit: if raised in this spot i think my usual line is to call the turn and check/fold the river UI