Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Most righty media personalities FOS?

[ QUOTE ]
I have my doubts with Rush sometimes. He believes Republicans > Democrats, and makes that a justification for intellectual dishonesty. Though I don't think he's ever trumpeted a fair and balanced kind of outlook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rush is none too bright. He's shockingly bad at math and makes abundant other errors. But he's been at it 20 years and I see little reason to doubt his ideological integrety.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 PM

I don't doubt Rush is a true coservative. What I doubt is his complete sincerity when he says "XXX idea by the Republicans is good" or his level of outrage at some Democratic happening.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge consumer of talk radio. Most are likely genuine but almost all of them are older, 40+ so a strong measure of conservatism is natural. I have my doubts about Savage but none about Rush, Hannity, Medved, Prager, Ingraham, Beck, Bennett and Hewitt. O'Reily claims to be middle of the road and I think he believes that. He's a 'classic liberal' in the Milton Freidman mold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you honestly comparing Bill O'Reilly to Milton Freidman?

-At least initially O'Reilly supported the War in Iraq.
-He is a staunch supporter of the War on Terrorism.
-He also supports stricter border control, including placing National Guard Troops on the border.
-He wrote a book called Culture Warrior in which he denounced the Secular-Progressives who are responsible for "the erosion of societal discipline" in the United States.
-I haven't made it down the reading list to O'Reilly's book, but I'm guessing he supports the War on Drugs

Contrast this with Freidman, a true classical liberal (I take the term to be synonymous with Libertarian, correct me if I'm wrong), who of course wanted to legalize drugs and prostitution.

O'Reilly does oppose the death penalty and does support some environmental measures, however most people don't fit perfectly into an ideology. Still calling him a conservative based on his opinions seems to be by far the closest fit. If O'Reilly actually met the definition of classical liberal (libertarian) I would be ashamed to call myself one.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 AM

I thought I'd read somewhere that O'Reilly was very moderate before getting his job and that it (at least started) as an act.

I can't help but believe that Coulter is an act. She seems too over the top and ridiculous to be real.