Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: A List of the Best Overall Hold \'em Tournaments in Las Vegas

I'm not an expert, just a tourist, but I was wondering why the Orleans tournaments didn't make the sub-100 list. The couple of times I played it seemed like a target-rich environment. Rake too large?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:31 PM

A similar post? Wouldn't know anything about it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In all seriousness, in order to allow this thread to be posted, I needed to make some reasonable adjustments to it (in order to follow 2+2 guidelines), which is why it is presented the way it is here.

++++++++

With regard to the Orleans tournies, once again, I opted to just include the best two overall for the under $100 section, as most tournies under $100 are all pretty standard and vanilla (and not the best in the city). I hesitated to even include the ones I did, as really, but due to demand, I included what is agreed overall to be the two best.

In general, of course, the best tournies are the ones over $100 (over $200, actually), so just including the popular Sahara and CP ones seemed like enough.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Sahara?

I am curious as to why you have included the Sahara with it's 34% rake. Is it because of their large starting chip count compared to other low buy-in tourneys?

thx
Old 01-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Sahara?

That rake amount percentage is based only off the initial buy in, and does not take into account the single rebuy (which 99% of players take), thus reducing the overall juice percentage by a bit.

Also, yes, their starting chip count of 5K (with RB), 20 min levels, and blinds starting at 25/25, coupled with the consistent high player turnout, make it one of the best and most popular under $100 tournies in Vegas. As said previously, tournies under $100 are rarely good. Most have high rake, low player turnout, short levels, and low chip counts. Sahara is one of only two or three decent ones in town.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 PM

This is a very good list.

Very pleased to see you mentioned the Venetian Saturday deepstack event - that truly is in a class all by itself, I think.

Caesar's is v. strong, too.

Thanks for this list.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 PM

OK, that makes sense. I've played the 11AM tournament twice and appreciated the good turnouts for that time of day. An interesting crowd there, played next to a guy who was in Vegas to celebrate the end of a 15 year term at San Quentin State Prison. At least that's what he claimed.

good luck
Old 01-19-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An interesting crowd there, played next to a guy who was in Vegas to celebrate the end of a 15 year term at San Quentin State Prison. At least that's what he claimed.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he by any chance a muscular white guy that was completely bald, mid to early 40s or so?

If so, he is a local and has been using that line for years. I have played with him at Sahara beofre in a cash game and he said the same thing. Might be true, considering is tone and physique, as no one was willing to refute it.

Yo Adrians: Thanks. That is what I have heard about that deepstacked event. I have also heard that it gets the most pros of any of the other events (like Tomer B, Krux, and that kid with the shades that was on TV that plays in it every week, can't remember his name). One of these days, I want to play in a sat for that tourney and try to win a seat in it, as I would love to play in it (up until now I have not played in any of the higher dollar ones).
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Caesars Palace
$130 total buy in including single RB
40 min levels
4500 chips including RB
AVg # of Players: 80-110
Mon-Sun Noon
Details of this Tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be in Vegas in February for work, and I have some time to kill on a Wednesday afternoon before my professional obligations begin. I'm not a tourney player, but I've also never had much luck finding good mid-limit limit games in the middle of a weekday the times I've been out there, so I thought it might be fun to donate $130 to the Caesar's noon tournament.

However, I don't want to luckbox my way to the bubble only to have it conflict with my work obligation.

How long does this tournament typically go on a Wednesday afternoon?

-McGee
Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Caesars Palace
$130 total buy in including single RB
40 min levels
4500 chips including RB
AVg # of Players: 80-110
Mon-Sun Noon
Details of this Tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be in Vegas in February for work, and I have some time to kill on a Wednesday afternoon before my professional obligations begin. I'm not a tourney player, but I've also never had much luck finding good mid-limit limit games in the middle of a weekday the times I've been out there, so I thought it might be fun to donate $130 to the Caesar's noon tournament.

However, I don't want to luckbox my way to the bubble only to have it conflict with my work obligation.

How long does this tournament typically go on a Wednesday afternoon?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

i played a few weeks ago on a saturday, and having 186 entries, we chopped 10-ways at 6:30 or so. that's the best i have to offer.

/end brag
Old 01-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Usually, this tournament does on for about 6-7 hours, and usually ends in a chop, from what I have heard (and further agreed upon by rageo).

The estimated length is also listed in the details link at the bottom of each tourney, but of course, it can vary.