Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Organize

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've written my senators and congresspeople in the past. I don't really have any ideas for you, but I will be interested in any ideas you or anybody else has. Count me in on anything I can do to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I do have an idea actually.

We all know that the more money and the more people who are behind what we want, the more likely we are to achieve our goals. There are a ton of people behind what we want and there is potentially a lot of money behind it as well. But our organization is in chaos.

Therefore, what I think we need to do is organize and communicate better. We all know the PPA has achieved nothing. However, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are an honest organization who really does have our best interest at heart. I think we need to ultimate funnel our efforts through the PPA. In theory, they already are in Washington, so it would make the most sense to funnel everything through the PPA since they have the infrastructure in place. I think we should form a new forum on 2p2 called "Poker Players Alliance". The mods of this forum will be in charge of:

1) Having contacts at the PPA who they get information from about what they need, events they are holding, meetings with senators, etc. Lots of people visit 2p2. Nobody visits the ppa website. So using 2p2 as a means to get information out to the masses makes sense to me.

2) Regularly organizing online poker tournaments to raise money for our cause.

3) Forming alliances with major online poker sites such as pokerstars, fulltilt, etc to offer incentives to their customers to join the PPA.

Comments, critiques??

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comments, critiques??

[/ QUOTE ]

Many here believe the PPA is not only not doing anything, but basically stealing any donations that are sent to them.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 PM

Sorry - I refuse to support or have anything to do with PPA, and I think the org that we set up, if we do it right, could enjoy the support of 2 plus 2. PPA will not get that, unless I have misunderstood something, from the "sticky" statement
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 PM

a highly reputable and charismatic public figure

numerous article writers to write to local and national newspapers / magazines

many high profile members

a call center and office

merchandise and other stuff for members or as gifts for donating

a few highly qualified legal advisors

the means to allow and sponsor members of a specific locale to set up sub branches of the organization for their specific state or area

HIGHLY organized and specific goals for meetings and public messages

etc. etc. etc.
could name a thousand things probably

up hill battle, but i'd be willing to, at the least, donate and write articles. assuming this group wouldn't just tank.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've written my senators and congresspeople in the past. I don't really have any ideas for you, but I will be interested in any ideas you or anybody else has. Count me in on anything I can do to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I do have an idea actually.

We all know that the more money and the more people who are behind what we want, the more likely we are to achieve our goals. There are a ton of people behind what we want and there is potentially a lot of money behind it as well. But our organization is in chaos.

Therefore, what I think we need to do is organize and communicate better. We all know the PPA has achieved nothing. However, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are an honest organization who really does have our best interest at heart. I think we need to ultimate funnel our efforts through the PPA. In theory, they already are in Washington, so it would make the most sense to funnel everything through the PPA since they have the infrastructure in place. I think we should form a new forum on 2p2 called "Poker Players Alliance". The mods of this forum will be in charge of:

1) Having contacts at the PPA who they get information from about what they need, events they are holding, meetings with senators, etc. Lots of people visit 2p2. Nobody visits the ppa website. So using 2p2 as a means to get information out to the masses makes sense to me.

2) Regularly organizing online poker tournaments to raise money for our cause.

3) Forming alliances with major online poker sites such as pokerstars, fulltilt, etc to offer incentives to their customers to join the PPA.

Comments, critiques??

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you followed the PPA threads here at all...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you followed the PPA threads here at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I have not. links?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I have not. links?

[/ QUOTE ]

The very first post (stickied) on this page for starters.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Comments, critiques??

[/ QUOTE ]

Many here believe the PPA is not only not doing anything, but basically stealing any donations that are sent to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I can certainly understand why that would be the case. I have my doubts about them as well. However, if the mods of the forum are in contact with the PPA, then they can easily update everybody about what is going on. Or at the very least, help the PPA communicate better with its members directly.

Right now, nobody (that I know of) is really in contact with the PPA. That's my hole point. If we form an alliance (between 2p2, PPA, & major poker sites), then everybody will be comfortable with the PPA and their efforts. Because if in 6 months we are unable to form this alliance (say because the PPA isn't doing anything to keep in contact with the mods at 2p2), then at least we all know that the PPA is a scam and we can ditch them. But if they are really an honest organization, then the alliance will work.

The bottom line is that we have to take an active role in this. We can't just hope the PPA does something. We are it's members. If it's not working, we have to make it work better. If it's a scam, we need to create a new organization. But we need to find out where we are at and this is a starting point.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 PM

and to do this it's very important to first set up a core group of members, preferably those you have contact with in real life (although with chat clients internet is ok too, just causes problems when an office is set up).

this core group can then branch out and start forming the infrastructure of the organization itself. soon enough you should have most of the cogs in place and you can go on to set up your website and get an office. this will do wonders for legitimizing your organization and poker clients like pstars will take notice, from there you can spread the word around to all the poker communities. from there, donation proceeds as well as help from other organizations and businesses should give enough funding to getting the word out to recreational players. with smart advertising and properly worded articles, the organization could easily get to 100k members with this alone

then, and probably the most important part, you will need to get those with little connection to poker to side with you. show them the anti-american side of the legislation, as well as the underhanded way it was passed. show how statements made by senators were lies and the true nature of online poker. bring up things like the money pstars raised for the victims from the tsunami in sri lanka, and try to get people like barry greenstein whom people can side with to speak on behalf of us.

then real lobbying can begin

this is a very rough outline of course, but im sort of pumped for it. send me a pm and i'll see what i can do. it's very important NOT to rush this though, start off slow and get the pieces in place first before you start taking peoples money.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Sparta- back when the legislation was signed, I was involved in a small group that was doing what is starting to happen again today. Contacts were made to Michael, even a face to face meeting occurred, ideas were passed on, nothing has been communicated back, and the relationship has deteriorated even farther with the 2 plus 2 statement.

This wheel was invented back in October, it was rejected. If you want the support of 2 plus 2, PPA is not the path to take.