Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: NFL to have regular season in London

If a team doesn't sell out it's home games why would they send them overseas? They want to send the most premier two teams over, and thats what they will do. Most likely, two teams that were very high in the league avg of scoring. They want to give an international crowd a good show.

You do know that London and Frankfurt are two cities that are interested in NFL teams. NFL eventually will be international, teams are just worth to much money for their not to be interest overseas.

Niss,

Fink's list from ESPN is accurate to a point. The Jaguars as well have a waiting list for season tickets. But I looked for an explanation from the site and couldn't find what these numbers come from. The Jaguars cover about 8,000 seats, and another 4,500 are given to charities and are not sold. I do not know if the 12,500 tickets go against the team. The stadium's max capacity is 82,000(this was for the superbowl), which means 15% of it's seats are not sold each week. So, if they count the charities, that means the covered seats account for 9-10% of the seats.

So my guess is that, though they are correct to a point, they should not be the end all, be all. My guess is that the Jets "cover" some seats that the Giants do not.

Oh, Fink, Jags to the superbowl next year, don't short change them. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They want to send the most premier two teams over, and thats what they will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. The game in Mexico was between the Niners and Cardinals. Some real powerhouses there =).

[ QUOTE ]
NFL eventually will be international, teams are just worth to much money for their not to be interest overseas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a long, long way off. The NBA might move to Europe, and the NFL could follow depending on its success.

[ QUOTE ]
Fink's list from ESPN is accurate to a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's just an estimate. A team's ticket sales may be above or below the stadium's "official" capacity. Those Eagles standing tickets I mentioned don't count in the Linc's "official" capacity, so the Eagles end up with 105% capacity with the extra 1500 standing tickets per game.

The Jets may sell fewer seats than the stadium's capacity, causing attendence to be below 100%, even though they are sold out.

I'm not saying the team that loses a home game will definitely be from that list, but it's a decent starting point for speculation.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do those of you in the UK think about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

When can I get tickets, obv.

BTW: There's no danger of them not selling it out.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think they have said that they want the home team for these games to be a team that doesn't sell out its games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teams with less than 99% home attendence this past year:

Atlanta 98.9%
NY Jets 98%
KC 98%
Miami 97%
San Fran 97%
Dallas 96%
Pitt 96%
Indy 95%
New Orleans 94%
Detroit 94%
San Diego 93%
Chicago 93%
Oakland 93%
Jacksonville 91%
Buffalo 85%

Logically, the NFL would want a team that doesn't have serious Super Bowl aspirations, so that knocks out Indy, San Diego, Chicago and perhaps Pittsburgh. It would be unfair to New Orleans. So that leave the Falcons, Jets, Chiefs, Fins, Niners, 'Boys, Lions, Raiders, Jags and Bills.

Attendence Linky

As an aside, there are 13 teams that are listed above 100% attendence, and only 1 team (St. Louis) listed at exactly 100%. I know the Eagles added standing-room tickets this year which pushed their attendence over 100%, but what gives with the other teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

These numbers are based on outdated stadium capacity numbers.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM

This game will most likely sell out. Curious where they will have it at? The new Wembley?

I think the NFL sent the cards and the niners because they are relatively close to Mexico, ergo, likely to have a larger hispanic audience. The only other real options that I could see would be SD and Dallas.

Also, I do know for a fact that Sky Sports (The UK's ESPN) shows NFL highlights on their sports highlight show.

Finally, I highly doubt there will ever be an NFL or NBA team in Europe. At least not a team in out league. The NBA has expressed interest in starting a league in Europe, but the logistics of a euro team playing in a regular season primarily in the US are immense. Never going to happen, unless flying times shorten dramatically.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I do know for a fact that Sky Sports (The UK's ESPN) shows NFL highlights on their sports highlight show.

[/ QUOTE ]

We get two games live every Sunday plus MNF live on a terrestrial channel also. Not too shabby.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 PM

How popular are they? You guys must have to stay up late for the games. I know the EPL games are a bitch for me. 7 or 8am on a Saturday is teh gay.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How popular are they? You guys must have to stay up late for the games. I know the EPL games are a bitch for me. 7 or 8am on a Saturday is teh gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to BARB the most viewers for an American football match this week was 48'000 Saturday at nine thirty.

BARB
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM

thats not a good time slot at all for a saturday game.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM

TSC,

Sunday games don't run that late. You're right that I never really bother with Monday night one.

We seem to only get the games in 4:3 which sucks, but the Superbowl is in WS HD (not that anyone really has HD here yet).