Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: $25 NL... Fold set in this spot ?

This 6 max link is great ! I noticed a leak in my game, even though I play 9 handed, it applies, I limp far too often with small pairs and suited connectors, especially from earlier positions. I'm sure this makes it transparent to a good player what i'm drawing to and what my check raises mean. Also I slow play too much when I make a big hand, hoping to trap. Fast playing a big hand on flop makes sense , to build the pot, and thus have a better chance at stacking someone, rather than an unraised pot where there isn't as much to fight for.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Yeah, your reasoning makes good sense, that bet really threw me for a loop. Never even considered it could be a misclick raise, especially the way he was playing. Moving all in sounds automatic, at the time it felt like he had a set, but looking back it could have been many reasons for such a bet.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Just remember that when you've a strong hand, you want to build as big a pot as possible, while when you've a marginal hand you'll want to keep it relatively small. Its what makes winning players win in the long run, maximising their wins and minimising their losses. This is a fundamental mistake seen over and over again with newer players, slowplaying their monsters and not getting the value from them and then building excessive pots with marginal holdings and losing them. Losing the big pots and winning the small pots will ensure you're a losing player in the long run.

Also, if you're check-raising a lot, I'd seriously cut back on that. Check-raises from newer or weaker players are extremely transparent and by doing so you won't get the value from a lot of decent players as they'll simply fold. Some weaker players may call you down, but a lot will see through it.

As for your hand, don't fold sets. Raise this guy with the intention of getting it all in here or on the river.