Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Recommend a basic beginner book for my wife....

Does he read the charts too? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely pick up a copy of the books mentioned asap.

AKQJ10, thanks for the analysis. I respect your opinion on the subject. Bankroll might be the limiting factor and the fact that my wife wants to buy in (once, twice at most) for around $100-$150 and actually "play" poker, rather than play short stack all-in PF. However, I'll get her the books and see what she thinks. Thanks again for the advice, it is appreciated.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...[M]y wife wants to buy in (once, twice at most) for around $100-$150 and actually "play" poker, rather than play short stack all-in PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's a good point, and if that's the case then limit (or deep stack online micro-limits) is a better choice.

Just keep in mind if her long term goal is to play NLHE, then the more boring short-stacked all-in game is at least going to get her to a NL table where she can practice hand reading, etc.

But for that matter limit isn't totally useless to learning NLHE, and it's a bit like short-stacked NL (because you can't charge drawing hands too much postflop).
Old 01-14-2007, 02:38 AM

I would just like to add.....your wife shouldn't dismiss learning & playing limit for awhile.

I started out playing NL tourneys because that's what everyone was playing.

However - now that I've been playing for a couple of years - I've been testing out some other games - and have found that I really enjoy limit - and I think becoming a student of limit first will benefit no-limit studies later on.

I still mostly play NL tourneys live - because that's what's out there to play (by me anyway)....but I find online I'm playing more limit cash games.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 AM

Books-I find myself rereading the starting books that I have from time to time and always finding ways to work on my games or something that I may have forgotten or passed through etc..
Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Excellent advice again.

As for limit, I actually enjoy the game alot and it's where I started. I played mostly NL tourneys when starting out but I really learned the game for the first 1.5 years at the online LHE tables. That being said, I think it would be great for her to play limit and I'd love for to learn the game. My only hesitation is with the fact that the smallest B&M LHE game we have access to is $4/$8. However, being the smallest game it plays wild and crazy and Miller's SSHE is just PERFECT for that game.

Anyway, good points and I might try to push her a little towards learning limit and see how she does there. Her tight game (if played according to SSHE) might be very profitable there.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM

She should probably be reading Angel Largay's book on NL. It specifically addresses the modern 1/2 game.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Phil Gordon' Little Green and Little Blue books. I think it is very easy and conversational to follow and has concepts that will go a long way toward getting her going.

Further, I think I would check out the stickied FAQ stuff in the Micro and Small stakes NL Hold 'Em forums as they offer a very quick and painless guide to some of the major mistakes small stakes players make.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:52 PM

Gordon Little Green Book is exactly what you are looking for: Something that is written in an easy to digest format for NL beginners.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 AM

Awesome guys. I appreciate all the suggestions. I didn't even know about some of these books and knew very little about even the one's I'd heard of. Thanks