Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Will you show me what you have if I fold?

[ QUOTE ]
He never asked me to show but I lied and said Jacks. Eh, close enough...

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to get better at lying.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I want a call, I say "no". If I want a fold, I say, "sure".

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you are willing to go along with his request if he will fold, wouldn't that make a logical opponent more inclined to call? And if you wanted a call wouldn't that make a smart Villain more inclined to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone asking this question isn't thinking this far, like 99% of the time, and if they are, you'd already be suspicious of it.

Live player = donkey
Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 PM

At the 1/2 games, if someone says this to me I usually read him as strong, or probably stronger than me. If someone asks me if I'll show, I usually say yes because I try and promote a 'nice' atmosphere at my tables and the more people that are showing, the more info I can pick up for the future.

I will never, never, tell someone that I will show and then not do it. That's a low move (and probably -EV), imo.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:12 PM

the proper thing to do at 1/2 NL is whatever you think will induce them to kill you and put you out of your misery.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Recently playing in a 1/3 NL game at Ballys. By the river the board was 5J85J. My T9 straight never came thru but I was betting and raising the whole time. Guy fears I made a boat on the river, says "Will you show me if I fold?" while showing me his AA. I say sure, he mucks, then I show him just 1 card. He's pissed, says "Real classy move there". I don't care as I stack the chips.

Hey, I didn't say I'd show both cards. Unfortunately he didn't tilt, and later I busted out. Oh well..

BB
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...then because I think a little cheating is OK if it's lighthearted insta-muck before anyone can invoke SOSA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't deal professionally, but if I did you would probably get away with this once before I caught on.

Iterations 2 through n, the muck would be protected in such a way that I would catch your cards and display them to the table. (If I got flak, I would catch your cards and hold them face down for long enough that anyone who wished would have time to ask.)

When people show their neighbor then ignorantly toss them into the muck, that's harmless and best ignored. You, in constrast, cheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that lieing about your future planned actions is cheating? How about the guy who says, "I check raise", then when someone bets he just calls? He is lieing about something that actually impacts the play of the hand, not just lieing about whether he will provide some info.

If you dealt professionally I would hope that you would actually enforce the rules of the game. I am not aware of any rule that says I need to tell the truth at a poker table.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I want a call, I say "no". If I want a fold, I say, "sure".

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you are willing to go along with his request if he will fold, wouldn't that make a logical opponent more inclined to call? And if you wanted a call wouldn't that make a smart Villain more inclined to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play strictly low stakes. My opponents are neither smart nor logical. Some are easy to tilt, like the people that think lieing = cheating (as opposed to angle shooting or just a part of poker).
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM

My experience people ask this when they have a marginal hand and think you are making a move. They want to know if they're right cheaply.

IMO the best move is to never answer a good player.

Dumb players have fun with. I usually answer No if I want a call, and yes if I want a fold.

One time I was on BTN with KK raised everyone but UTG+1 folds. He was Laggy and solid, 3 bet often. Flop was
J75 rainbow. He checks, I bet about pot he raises ... I was sure he had something like J10 thinking setts call here so I push. He goes into the tank for awhile then asks

"Will you show if I fold?"
I answer "I'll show you if you call."

He laughs... and calls, shows J-9. I flip the KK, turn is a J.

Still a good line though.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...but try to do so in a non-mean spirited way .... then insta-muck before anyone can invoke SOSA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's funny.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...but try to do so in a non-mean spirited way .... then insta-muck before anyone can invoke SOSA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

My entire quote says that I would show the villian, but would try not to show the rest of the table in an effort to not show him up. Why is that funny?

I do agree that the combined snippets are funny, but thats not what I posted.