Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Auto insurance for Mass/ Boston

sleepy,

Yeah.. good driver / experience discounts are huge. I just got the lamest traffic violation ever, and Cali nickle and dimed me for $200 ($14 convenience fee to pay online?!?!)between the ticket and paying for the option to take a quick class to keep it off my insurance records, but it was still worth it.

Also, I didn't realize Boston insurance was that bad. I knew it was bad, but I remember my friend from Queens being ecstatic to register his car there just for the cheaper insurance. Sucks to be queens.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 PM

As durkah and others have pointed out, the state insurance commission sets the auto insurance rates. As a result, only a handful of auto insurers do business here.

That said, $3K/year sounds high even for Roslindale/Hyde Park given the age and type of vehicle. Check your coverages, as you may be paying for things you don't need.

I'm a step 10 driver (thanks to a ticket a while back). Do you know how you guys rate? If you have no driving record or have blemishes then you're going to be rated higher, and pay higher premiums as a result.

I pay about $2500/ year total for two newer cars (03 Mazda Millenia S and an 05 F150 XLT 4x4) and I live in Worcester, also considered inner city.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Kilgore,
24 yrs old, licensed for 8 years (mostly in NY), step 10 driver also (traffic ticket that used to be a misdemeanor so I'm cool with that lol), one car (2001 Hyundai Accent), two drivers (other driver has no tickets)... pay ~$1850/yr.

I guess any number of factors can increase your insurance, I would imagine having an SUV such as OP does would increase premiums. More drivers increases them. I think having kids might (not sure on this one but I've heard it). Being Inner-city definitely does, and I think it's dependant on where you live. Everything right down to the color of your car can affect premiums (IIRC, having a red car means you pay the highest premiums, where I think white pays the lowest).
Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You live in Mass, there is no such thing as cheaper insurance, the rate is set by the state. I'm not sure of the exact laws, but I do know that the state plays a big role in setting Insurance Rates (much like NJ), and that is why companies like Geico will not insure MA residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's a good thing for you (snicker), that your state sets the rates (presumably to protect the consumer- right?) and limits competition. Good job Mass.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 PM

I might be wrong on this but if you financed the car vs paying cash, max coverage may be required by the note holder which would increase your premium.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:43 PM

1. You live in a high insurance rate State.
2. You live in the inner-city of the worst drivers in the world.
3. Both of you are inexperienced drivers. At your ages you normally have 10 years of driving experience.
4. One of you is male.
5. Both of you are in the high accident rate age range.
6. You are young, inexperienced, driving in THE city of bad drivers, tooling around in a SUV.

If there weren't State regulations, you probably couldn't find an insurance company wanting to take you on.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM

The rate differs from area to area but the rates are set by the state. They are actually going down in 07.

If you just got your license your rate will go down every year for 5 years until you are "experienced" as a driver, assuming a clean driving record.

Places like Boston Proper (and all the neighborhoods like Roslindale), Springfield, Lawrence and Brockton have the highest rates.

THe make and model of car also factor into it.

When I moved from West Roxbury to Cape Cod in 2003 my auto insurance dropped by about 30%.

-----------------------
Homeowners insurance is pretty f'd up too. When I bought my house in West Roxbury in 95 I got cold called by an insurance company trying to get my business.

The woman said "The rates for ROXBURY are $$$..." and I told her I lived in WEST ROXBURY and she said they were the same.

Bawahahahahahahahahah (Boston peeps will understand)
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pay about $2500/ year total for two newer cars (03 Mazda Millenia S and an 05 F150 XLT 4x4) and I live in Worcester, also considered inner city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife and I both Step 9, although I believe they have done away with the step system this year.

We have a 2003 SUV bought new and a 2006 Sedan bought new and we pay $1800/yr.

My daughter pays $1700/yer herself. 21 y/o with a note outstanding
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The woman said "The rates for ROXBURY are $$$..." and I told her I lived in WEST ROXBURY and she said they were the same.

Bawahahahahahahahahah (Boston peeps will understand)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Thats as retarded as saying Fenway/Kenmore and JP should have the same rates. Except Fenway and JP ACTUALLY FRIGGIN BORDER EACH OTHER. This makes no sense, but it's 100% standard.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You live in Mass, there is no such thing as cheaper insurance, the rate is set by the state. I'm not sure of the exact laws, but I do know that the state plays a big role in setting Insurance Rates (much like NJ), and that is why companies like Geico will not insure MA residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's a good thing for you (snicker), that your state sets the rates (presumably to protect the consumer- right?) and limits competition. Good job Mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mass insurance (all insurance, not just auto) is about the most retarded thing in the world and is one of the major gripes I have about living here now. That and the fact that the drivers here are friggin AWFUL and there is nothing resembling an actual street grid (lol streets intersect at 90 degree angles? what? derrrrrrrrrr), outside of maybe a small part of South Boston.

As for auto insurance, it kind of nets to good drivers subsidizing [censored] drivers IMO. If you are a good driver the state-set rates definitely hurt you, whereas if you have lots of tickets/acidents, or are just new to driving, the insurance helps you a lot. I hate it so much.