Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: 10 20 river spot vs. strassa

[ QUOTE ]
I mean theoretically strassa knows that I am a decent player as well, so what do you think he puts me on after I bet the flop big and don't slow down at all on the turn? What range do you think he pays the river with, and what range do you think he bets if I check?

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

He could put you on a 3-barrel with a 9 for oesd, he could put you on 89 going for a value bet, he could put you on a flop bluff that picked up a flush draw on the turn and is now firing again, etc. I don't feel like getting into his calling ranges but I doubt he bets anything but a boat or trips if you check to him since he can't really rep a huge hand here so he's not gonna bluff too often.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean theoretically strassa knows that I am a decent player as well, so what do you think he puts me on after I bet the flop big and don't slow down at all on the turn? What range do you think he pays the river with, and what range do you think he bets if I check?

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

He could put you on a 3-barrel with a 9 for oesd, he could put you on 89 going for a value bet, he could put you on a flop bluff that picked up a flush draw on the turn and is now firing again, etc. I don't feel like getting into his calling ranges but I doubt he bets anything but a boat or trips if you check to him since he can't really rep a huge hand here so he's not gonna bluff too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he can definitely rep a huge hand here, because I think this is exactly how he'd play 87 and possibly a set considering he can't really expect me to give a lot of action with worse. Also, I am pretty much never value pushing 89 here. Maybe A8 if I have a great read and I can rep a bluff(i.e. if there were a flush draw on the flop or something) more easily. Maybe 99. But it's not especially likely that once I push this river I'm value betting worse than what I actually have.

And if you think he won't bet worse than a f/h or trips, is there merit to check/folding this river since there are so few hands that he can have that are just trips here?

James
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And if you think he won't bet worse than a f/h or trips, is there merit to check/folding this river since there are so few hands that he can have that are just trips here?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I think you'd have gotten raised on the turn with if strass had a set (although prob not if he had top two) so you can discount the chances of him boating on the river.

Second, I don't mind c/folding if you don't like a value bet here, I just think a value bet is called for here.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM

james, did you consider a very small bet?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
james, did you consider a very small bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

And then I can fold to a push? Even though he can recognize a blocking bet?

James
Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 AM

Strassa himself made a post a long time ago (or at least it seems like a long time ago) that in some cases you can dismiss a certain part your opponents hand range because it makes absolutely no difference wrt results. So if he has top two and filled up, who cares? The money is going in anyway (or should). So your only concern is how to extract money from hands that would otherwise not pay you off, and in this case a blocking looking like bet works best - he pays off more, and he might even make a bluff-raise thinking you left enough behind that he has some FE.

Kirk
Old 01-10-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strassa himself made a post a long time ago (or at least it seems like a long time ago) that in some cases you can dismiss a certain part your opponents hand range because it makes absolutely no difference wrt results. So if he has top two and filled up, who cares? The money is going in anyway (or should). So your only concern is how to extract money from hands that would otherwise not pay you off, and in this case a blocking looking like bet works best - he pays off more, and he might even make a bluff-raise thinking you left enough behind that he has some FE.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

i see what you are saying. Anyway, I checked, he went all in and I called. He had 66. I really didnt see worse hands calling, and I don't really ever make blocking bets, so I figured a check was pretty much the same thing as a blocking bet, because the pot is so big, and the 7 is such a bad card for my range that I thought it would make sense for him to jam a lot of different hands here. As to whether he would or not, I guess the world will never know!

James
Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And then I can fold to a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant call a push, the theory being he may bluff raise a made hand he now realizes is no good.