Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: A situation I\'m not sure how to handle...

Oh, without a read, I def fold.

I would call only against the more aggressive players who might keep firing with a draw or air, but that's only some of the time. Calling down with A high OOP is a good way to burn through a lot of money quickly. I should have made that more clear in my last post. My bad.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM

This is a good point from Haupt. A mantra I try to tell myself (particularly having played mostly 6max over the last year or so) is:

"Don't fight unduly for small pots without cause."

You don't know where you're at, you have basically no leverage, and your opponent is a mystery. Sure, some of the time you'll be angry in retrospective when you learn your opponent is a lagtard who you were likely beating, but that's only a percentage of the time and shouldn't bother you.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The problem is compounded if you check the Turn and he checks behind. Then the River becomes difficult to play. You would like a free showdown but if you check OOP he might bet as a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a known problem, it's described in middle limit hold'em. You should c/c or c/f, betting was bad. Use AK as a bluff catcher only.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reference -
Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Depends on the opponent.

Most times this is a fold.

Though the flop raise can be a variation of a slingshot bet. slingshot bet

As you move up, people will float and try and steal postflop all the time. If this player has been doing this alot(key word is 'alot') and not showing down, call him out and find out. You have to see if he's doing it with just overcards.

And you're right, he will be if checked to. You're inducing him to do it as you've just told him you only have overcards on the flop. His fold equity is high. (this is also one reason to just call and raise the turn with good hands when HU in these situations)

Calling this out once in awhile(not routinely) also helps to show people you won't just be put off a hand.

If you make it to the river, you're pretty much calling it. The time to fold is the turn.

But again, it depends on the opponent. I've made alot of chips against overaggro floaters with AK unimproved. Knowledge of your opponent really helps here.

b
Old 01-05-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, you're getting roughtly 6:1 (just under) on the turn, and you have 6ish outs to improve if you're behind. 6/47=about 8, which means you're a 7:1 dog (please correct my math, I'm bleary eyed ATM and a moron all the time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're calling solely to hit you hand and fold unimproved, realize many will call with Axs. And it could be very likely he hit his 'x' so the A is a tainted out. Not to mention, you may have zero implied odds if you hit your hand as he very well may not pay off if you bet with a worse hand, nor bet with a worse hand at that point.

b
Old 01-05-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That said, you're getting roughtly 6:1 (just under) on the turn, and you have 6ish outs to improve if you're behind. 6/47=about 8, which means you're a 7:1 dog (please correct my math, I'm bleary eyed ATM and a moron all the time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're calling solely to hit you hand and fold unimproved, realize many will call with Axs. And it could be very likely he hit his 'x' so the A is a tainted out. Not to mention, you may have zero implied odds if you hit your hand as he very well may not pay off if you bet with a worse hand, nor bet with a worse hand at that point.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

what about calling down because I have the nuts?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM

How often do you think you're ahead here?

I think there's a significant minority of the time that we are, but I'm not to solid in situations like this.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you think you're ahead here?

I think there's a significant minority of the time that we are, but I'm not to solid in situations like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome back. how is your 2nd ali like return to poker going?

As for this hand. I don't have a [censored] clue. This hand confuses me more than any other. I raise, Tagfish cold calls. flop is dick-dick-dick, i bet, he raises.

He knows I have AK, I know he knows I have A high, so what can I do.

If someone has done this too me a few times, I just start calling down so I can see what he has.

If I have KQs and get raised on this flop, I call and c/f the turn. So if I have AK, I'm just going to look them up, because when I'm playing 6max, I can't fold everytime cause one tagfish raises the flop with his air.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Well I specifically raise this flop with air, because I know it's so hard to play... and you'll notice it soon enough when he has AA/KK... Therefore...the 3 bet flop, lead turn might work. But it's potentially very costly.

Or.. another line is not to bet the flop but to c/r it. If he checks behind, fine, especially if you do this often with good hands as well. Because then you get a card, and you can bet the turn regardless. Double bet in a small pot... call it, I dare you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And if you c/r and lead the joke's on him again. But when betting out you have a good chance of picking it up immediately. There's a lot of advantages to c/r-ing the flop.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

what about calling down because I have the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

?

b