Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: How many Harvards?

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard Harvard referred to as "The Stanford of the East."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this, bet it gets their panties in a bunch too.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I attended Washington University in St. Louis many years ago, I recall people referring to it as the "Harvard of the midwest." (In what then passed as clever, there were also t-shirts saying that Harvard was the "Wash U of the East.") And today in some thread I've already forgotten, I noticed someone's alma mater was called the "Harvard of the South."

How many other Harvards are purportedly out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @washu st louis as Harvard of anything. Three people from my high school who were smart but not that great went there. It's a good school but not incredibly difficult to get into when compared to the top 10 schools in the country.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I attended Washington University in St. Louis many years ago, I recall people referring to it as the "Harvard of the midwest." (In what then passed as clever, there were also t-shirts saying that Harvard was the "Wash U of the East.") And today in some thread I've already forgotten, I noticed someone's alma mater was called the "Harvard of the South."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @washu st louis as Harvard of anything. Three people from my high school who were smart but not that great went there. It's a good school but not incredibly difficult to get into when compared to the top 10 schools in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a laugh when I attended Wash U, but more recently I think the school has been ranked somewhere in the top 10-15 schools (though those rankings are all pretty silly). Certainly, it is much harder to get in there now than it used to be.

The truth is that these "Harvard-like" claims usually suggest an insecurity about the status of the school. Indeed, Wash U (when I went there) was full of people who didn't quite have the grades for their first choice schools.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard Harvard referred to as "The Stanford of the East."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this, bet it gets their panties in a bunch too.

[/ QUOTE ]

as long as it's Natalie Portman's panties, I'm fine with that
Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 AM

I went to the Harvard of Canada, lol

(McGill)
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I always thought Emory was the Harvard of the South

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always heard this as well.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 AM

From Wiki on "Southern Ivy"

"Harvard of the South" is also a commonly used colloquialism, and one humorous essay asserts that "there are two dozen Harvards of the South distributed among the states that seceded to form the Confederacy. Of those eleven states, only Alabama does not claim to have a single HotS ['Harvard of the South']." Usually universities do not accord themselves that accolade, but students at the University of Mississippi(Ole Miss) refer to their school as "the Harvard of the South" and to Harvard as "the Ole Miss of the North." Likewise, "UF administrators have designated the school the 'Harvard of the South,'" according to the University of Florida's student newspaper.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is that these "Harvard-like" claims usually suggest an insecurity about the status of the school. Indeed, Wash U (when I went there) was full of people who didn't quite have the grades for their first choice schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Also, same tuition rates as Harvard with a school on your resume that no one really cares about. No thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and her friends make this claim, being alumni of Wash U. I went to Northwestern so I claimed only half-jokingly that my alma mater should be declared the "Harvard of the Midwest". For fun we asked a random person in a parking lot while taking a skiing trip in Michigan what school she thought was the "Harvard of the Midwest". Her answer, "I hear Miami of Ohio is a good school..."
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I recall, GT is the MIT of the South.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP