Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: \"Respecting\" people\'s beliefs...

[ QUOTE ]
They are a danger to society and must be stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, with all the evils you attribute to religion/faith, what makes you think society and/or human civilization wouldn't actually be in a worse state of affairs without it?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly what someone's beliefs are don't matter nearly as much to me as how they arrived at those beliefs

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 01-02-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are a danger to society and must be stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, with all the evils you attribute to religion/faith, what makes you think society and/or human civilization wouldn't actually be in a worse state of affairs without it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to put words in his mouth:

Even if it were worse off without it, which is entirely possible, our prospects of improving it would increase dramatically, because we at least, now, have an avenue in which to pursue compromise.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think religion is a bad thing. Faith, is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think using faith when arguing logically, is a bad thing. Astronomers don't "have faith" that the earth revolves around the sun, nor do chemists that water molecules have 2 hydrogen molecules. We insist on evidence in all other avenues of discussion, why not in spirituality?

~AS
Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But many theists are entering the political process and putting pressure on politicians to pass laws that are based not on reason, but on their own religious values, thus trying to force everyone to--if not actually believe--than at least act as if we believe in their own version of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a whole nother problem. You cannot run for congress and be an open athiest. Even if you were to "respect" all other religions. It's political suicide. However, this kind of intolerance is widely accepted.

~AS
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't I believe in God? What does that have to do with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of arguements against faith/religion. I'm not trying to argue those here. I am just trying to show the one-sidedness of "tolerance."

~AS
Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But many theists are entering the political process and putting pressure on politicians to pass laws that are based not on reason, but on their own religious values, thus trying to force everyone to--if not actually believe--than at least act as if we believe in their own version of God.

Furthermore, they are indoctrinating children's minds which is morally wrong.

They are a danger to society and must be stopped. If they won't listen to reason, then they ought to be ridiculed in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if someone enters the politic process as a theist of one brand or another, or as an athist or anything else. And I do not care about what a persons beliefs are. Plenty of people try to superimpose their values, their version of 'good' on others through politics, that includes lots of progressive and secularists.

It is the act of trying to control others that is not good, not the motivation behind why one does this.

Being a controlling schmuch is an equal opportunity human trait.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think using faith when arguing logically, is a bad thing. Astronomers don't "have faith" that the earth revolves around the sun, nor do chemists that water molecules have 2 hydrogen molecules. We insist on evidence in all other avenues of discussion, why not in spirituality?

~AS

[/ QUOTE ]

You can insist on anything you want. So can't a theist. So can't a flat earther.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but what if your faith includes the belief that your God wants you to convert others? That's not religion. That's faith.

Faith IS the problem. If you believe (have faith) that strapping a bomb across your chest and blowing yourself up along with a bunch of other people will bring you ever-lasting peace, then we have a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

No we don't. We don't have a problem unless you intend to do it.

If you want to control my thoughts we have a problem, I don't care what your agenda is or how good of a person you are.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~AS

[/ QUOTE ]

You can insist on anything you want. So can't a theist. So can't a flat earther.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only insisting on rational argument in all matters rather than some.