Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Provide optional accounting for users including all the metrics that we are "entering" manually onto
Great Idea! wooh whooo! 11 18.03%
Good idea 15 24.59%
no opinion / don't care / neutral opinion 30 49.18%
Bad Idea Jeans 3 4.92%
horrible, stinky, icky idea. blech. 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Da Vinci Code Poll

I read more than 21 books a year in average. Some years less, some years more. Anyway, I can't believe how anyone that reads that much can think it's actually a good book. The plotholes are so glaring, they jump right out of the pages and punch you in the face. The characters are totally uninteresting, and the goddamn cliffhangers after each chapter are so contrived and annoying that I wanted to violently hurl the book in the nearest wall each time.

Not to mention the whacky "science" it builds its story around. One would think someone who reads 20+ book a year, would have heard of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and how The Da Vinci Code is basically a rip of the pseudo-science presented there.

OK, you can go ahead and bash me for being a snob now...
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM

I know comparing books to movies is apples to oranges but to me the value of the Da Vinci code is to books as the value of A night at the Roxbury is to cinema. So low in quality that it makes you want to puke but so high in entertainment that its nonetheless very enjoyable. Dan Brown did pwn the illerteate masses though, I love overhearing randoms in airports or the gym or whatever talk about how much they love the short chapters and constant cliffhangers. I derive a lot of unintentional comedy from subconscious eavesdropping. I highly recommend developing this habit to any and everyone.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a good book, but it sure as hell was entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread, imo.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read more than 21 books a year in average. Some years less, some years more. Anyway, I can't believe how anyone that reads that much can think it's actually a good book.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was essentially the impetus behind my post. I found it entertaining and interesting, and I suspect that was because of the 25,000 pages worth of text I've averaged reading in the last 2 years, 90% of it is judgments from 200 year old cases in British Courts in law textbooks.

If most people here were well-read in a fiction/literature sense (i.e. versus professional/non-fiction sense) they'd be comparing it to a much wider range of books, and therefore realize that it is in fact a piece of crap, despite my own love of it.