Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Science told: hands off gay sheep

I'm sure a lot of gays welcome such research because they know deep down in their hearts homosexuality is a defect. Its a shame the rights of those gays are going to be trampled on for the sake of political correctness.

Stu
Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that if this were even possible, there would be serious incidences of people wishing they weren't straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight people don't know what they're missing. A gay man can get laid MUCH more easily than a straight man, and men are much better at certain things than women are.

Oh, and there is no such thing as pregnancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, this is the most important ethical argument to be made in this discussion.

(Similarly, where do you draw the line with programming people, and deciding what's best for them???)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go as far as to say that, if homosexual men weren't the subject of such scorn, I would rather be attracted to men than women. Unfortunately I'm not, but I think the pros would far outweigh the cons, and I don't know if I ever plan to have my own children anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
perhaps we should cure people of hetrosexuality - evolvedform has more or less volunteered to try out this sort of thing.

Next an anti-bigotry pill, or maybe a bigotry pill would be better. Which makes people happiest?

chez
Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 AM

From the linked article

[ QUOTE ]
Udo Schuklenk, Professor of Bioethics at Glasgow
Caledonian University, who has written to the researchers pressing them to stop, said: “I don’t believe the motives of the study are homophobic, but their work brings the terrible possibility of exploitation by homophobic societies. Imagine this technology in the hands of Iran, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this country we allow women to have abortions simply because those women do not want a particular person to exist. In that light what is wrong with a country or culture wishing to eliminate a particular demographic before thier born?

Stu
Old 01-01-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the linked article

[ QUOTE ]
Udo Schuklenk, Professor of Bioethics at Glasgow
Caledonian University, who has written to the researchers pressing them to stop, said: “I don’t believe the motives of the study are homophobic, but their work brings the terrible possibility of exploitation by homophobic societies. Imagine this technology in the hands of Iran, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this country we allow women to have abortions simply because those women do not want a particular person to exist. In that light what is wrong with a country or culture wishing to eliminate a particular demographic before thier born?

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is why we allow abortions? I thought it was because we agree as a society that forcing people to cooperate against their will is unacceptable, no matter whether a life was in the balance or not.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Science told: hands off gay sheep

[/ QUOTE ]

What about velcro gloves?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THAT is why we allow abortions? I thought it was because we agree as a society that forcing people to cooperate against their will is unacceptable, no matter whether a life was in the balance or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not make this thread into an abortion debate. Suffice it to say this country sees nothing wrong with a woman having an abortion simply becuase that woman doesn't want a particular person to exist. In that light do you see anything wrong with say Iran eliminating the homosexual demographic before those people are born?

Stu
Old 01-01-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suffice it to say this country sees nothing wrong with a woman having an abortion simply becuase that woman doesn't want a particular person to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally women have abortions because they don't want to have a baby, not because they have decided that that baby shouldn't be born. There is a difference.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not make this thread into an abortion debate. Suffice it to say this country sees nothing wrong with a woman having an abortion simply becuase that woman doesn't want a particular person to exist. In that light do you see anything wrong with say Iran eliminating the homosexual demographic before those people are born?

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

"I don't want this to turn into an abortion debate, so suffice to say that I am unequivocally right, and therefore that we are a nation of hypocrites."

Yeah...no.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great, a realistic possibility of my previously hypothetical 'straight pill', a subject of another thread.

In that thread I argued that it is more humane, given the current social status of gays, to disseminate the cure for gayness to newborn babies. I also figured gays would get upset over this, and they have the right to; but, I don't think it's something that should get decided by political correctness or sensitivity.

This could get interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Deaf parents have protested giving cochlear implants to their deaf children (i.e, curing their deafness).

-- C.T. Jackson
Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 AM

At least they'll find sancutary in Wales or New Zealand.

Oh, wait.

I fail to see why curing homosexual sheep is worth research money. So many researchers running around. "Yeah, ok, you can't work on curing cancer. Go cure gay sheep."

What's next, cows strolling around in leather bodysuits? Imagine the outcry then. o_O