Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Cockpunch of a Downswing

[ QUOTE ]
... right now my confidence is completely shattered. Absolutely utterly destroyed.

I'm going to take a day or two ...

[/ QUOTE ]

select an integer between 5 and 20. select the higher end of your initial range and multiply. that's how much time you take off.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 AM

B&M = Brick and Mortar

This acronym means that someone is referring to a live card room as opposed to one found online.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardrunners + SSNL until your eyes bleed

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea.

[ QUOTE ]
I`m playing a lil bit higher than you Nl200 and atm trying to master Nl500 and still i am not "that" confident in my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not that confident either. I'm not talking about making millions from the game, I'm talking about beating the 100 games for a decent amount. I know I can do that. I think I can do more.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps it was perhaps, but more likely, you are not so goood as you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no question I still have a ton to learn. No question at all.

[ QUOTE ]
just remember that a cold run is directly related to bad play. better yet, the bad play is a direct result of the cold run. anybody who tells you differently is dillusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very true.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 AM

Ummm a cold run is not always related to your bad play. I am on a 11 buyin downswing but i got anyhwere from 8-1 outered for $200 plus at least 15-20 times these past few days. If they held up even half the time I'd be on a decent run instead. Good thing I'm a nit playing on 150 buyin roll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 AM

2285 hands into my recovery I'm up 12.01 PTBB/100
Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just remember that a cold run is directly related to bad play. better yet, the bad play is a direct result of the cold run. anybody who tells you differently is dillusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. The element of luck cannot be discounted in poker. There will be times when luck is on your side and you will win more than expected, and there will be times when luck is not on your side, and you will lose. It's the average of the two that counts. The trick is to keep your composure during those downswings so that you lose the LEAST amount as possible. But, yes, downswings are very real, and are the most difficult things to overcome.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 AM

OP:

Interesting in that I've been in the exact same place recently. I play live B&M only, and was playing several days a week, doing well - then on Dec. 30th, blamo - a huge swing first way up then crash.

CRASH.

Now? After decimating months of profits, I'm on break. Re-reading, thinking about my mistakes, and considering the emotional aspects that cause me to make poor decisions.

They say a computer can't play NL - but I have to say, it's the fact that I'm human with EMOTIONS that is my biggest leak. It takes steely eyed emotionless confidence to play this game - anything less results in cloudy judgement.

AB
Old 01-04-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They say a computer can't play NL - but I have to say, it's the fact that I'm human with EMOTIONS that is my biggest leak. It takes steely eyed emotionless confidence to play this game - anything less results in cloudy judgement.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. My weaknesses are loss of focus and frustration tilt. If I were an emotionless drone it wouldn't be so bad. It's actually not so bad, I've been much better over the last six months than the six months previous, it's just last month was a major step back.