Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Re: top two becomes middle two...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd limpreraise at least a reasonable portion of the time here (70%+)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's interesting. I'd never make that play. I'm not that big a fan of QJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the raiser is only raising super strong hands, then I don't like it, but 6-ways it has a lot of value against a looooooooooooose crowd, and I much prefer having a loose gambling image to a tight and nitty one. In a live 12/24 game with a pot that is already 12SB (meaning you'll often be calling the flop at least), I think there's a lot to be said for building the pot even further, even when you have a positional disadvantage.

My guess offhand based on live play is that it's definitely +EV but not hugely +EV, and while it's going to increase variance I generally like encouraging people to play in big pots and, moreover, I find that moves like this become more contagious the more that other people see them. I'd love to see someone else do the same thing later with 86s or 97o when I'm raising on the Button.

Basically, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] big pots and any way of promoting them, and exploiting the tiniest of edges here when you can also make the game a bit "goofy" seems like a great idea.

As far as the hand in question goes, I'd checkraise the flop. The turn seems pretty close and I'm not always happy with more than 1 bet going in against most standard live players, who generally won't raise AK on this flop. Once you bet the flop and he raises I think you should definitely bet-3bet. The idea of betting, hoping that he raises means the crowd will still be getting 15:2 on a call at least, which doesn't offer a ton of protection, doesn't seem all that great unless you can count on him to raise any Ace-high gutshot and other pairs (TT, KK, AA) often/always on the flop. Once you've bet and he raises, I'd just go ahead and 3bet now.

Rob
Old 01-01-2007, 04:16 AM

With all these LP players who will call one for sure but not always two, and the pfr to your immediate left, I think that not checkraising this flop is a crime against humanity. The whole field gets trapped and then the pfr will often still 3 bet if he has an overpair. Then you get to decide on feel if you want to take it to captown or try and CR a blank turn. Yum.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With all these LP players who will call one for sure but not always two, and the pfr to your immediate left, I think that not checkraising this flop is a crime against humanity. The whole field gets trapped and then the pfr will often still 3 bet if he has an overpair. Then you get to decide on feel if you want to take it to captown or try and CR a blank turn. Yum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
live 12/24 game...this is a hand that was played by a friend at the same table as me...im not in the hand...

table is very loose and chatty, some preflop aggression, but not really aggressive or maniacal...

Hero: QJs UTG+1

Preflop: UTG limps, Hero limps, MP1 raises (a loose and straightforward typical live player), some people call, 6 ways to the flop for 2 bets with both blinds in...

Flop: Q J 2 rainbow (12sb)
blinds check, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, all fold to hero who calls planning to c/r the turn...i think this is fine as is 3betting the flop...comments?

Turn: A (8bb)
go ahead with the plan and c/r or something else?

thanks for the comments...

[/ QUOTE ]

at this table and on this board i think the best way to get a ton of money in on the flop is to bet/3bet...i think that if hero c/r this flop then we only get 3bet by hands that have us destroyed as inthis kind of game against these kinds of players we will automatically be put on QJ and overpairs will go into calldown mode...if we bet, MP1 raises his AQ/AA/KK hands as well as his sets and we can 3bet, this is a loose table so players are likely to call two bets on the flop, especiallly given the board...but when everyone folded in between hero decided to c/r the turn...ok, back to the hand...

Turn: A
hero c/r, villain calls...

River: T
plan?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:45 PM

easy--check/call