Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Pick me a wine for surf and turf

howz,

I have a similar opinion of the winery, especially if we are considering wines up to $30.

Cakebread et al will exceed $30 and I disagree with Chardonnay and steak in general.

Malbec is a very good option. I would personally prefer it to the Syrah but most women would differ.

J
Old 12-29-2006, 04:24 PM

yeah, name brand cali chards start at $40.

for the OP, you can't really go wrong with a pinot noir because pinots are known for being able to swing both ways. the reason i'm not recommending a pinot here is because the steak and lobster on their own are pretty "strong" dishes and a lighter, delicate wine like a pinot noir kind of doesn't stand up to either dish. just my opinion.

for the chateau st. jean, it was 2003. the wine could've been cooked cuz the girl who brought it doesn't really know much about wine or care for it. but after that bottle and with so many choices out there, i keep minimal bottles of napa pinot noirs in my house.

for my current american pinot noir of choice, willamette's Archery Summit at $30ish.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, name brand cali chards start at $40.

for the OP, you can't really go wrong with a pinot noir because pinots are known for being able to swing both ways. the reason i'm not recommending a pinot here is because the steak and lobster on their own are pretty "strong" dishes and a lighter, delicate wine like a pinot noir kind of doesn't stand up to either dish. just my opinion.

for the chateau st. jean, it was 2003. the wine could've been cooked cuz the girl who brought it doesn't really know much about wine or care for it. but after that bottle and with so many choices out there, i keep minimal bottles of napa pinot noirs in my house.

for my current american pinot noir of choice, willamette's Archery Summit at $30ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howzit,

Interesting. I'd try another bottle before bagging it. I'm not saying this is some top-flight winery; they do 300k cases a year. It's about volume to some degree, but they did snag Wine Spectator's World's #1 with their 1996 Cinq Cepages and #2 with their 1999 Cinq Cepages. My wife finds their wines safe, price-friendly and enjoyable.

I'll gladly check out the Archery Summit.

Re: your point about Pinot swinging both ways, but in effect neither -- I enjoy a nice Pinot so much that I'll let the imperfect food combinations pass, but there is merit to this argument. That's why I was wondering if OP was going to go with a white and a red.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 PM

A great meritage that goes with fish and steak:

http://www.paraduxx.com/

Some people might call it more of a Cab-Hybrid.

Paraduxx is a boldly elegant Napa Valley Red Wine. Fusing the robust flavors of California's native Zinfandel with the grandeur of Cabernet Sauvignon, Paraduxx embraces the best of both core varietals. An unabashed extrovert, this innovative blend has the personality to mix naturally with great food and dynamic company.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 PM

All,

I hope Cubswin has gotten enough advice because I'd like to hijack (too bad his team hasn't heard "Cubs win!" the Series in generations, ultra hijack!).

My girlfriend and I don't drink much wine, but would like to try to get at least a base education, so we decided that once a week we'd buy a bottle and cook a meal that at least doesn't clash. This is our first week.

I was thinking of a Coq du Vin or a Chicken Marsala, but mainly because those are about the only two dishes I immeddiately thought of that were wine sauces and food. Anyone have good recommendations for good home meals and wines to go with them? Bonus points for those dishes that serve as great introductions to wine noobs.

PS I had a Malbec with the folks over Thanksgiving and it was great.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM

ep,

David Bruce and Handley are two Pinots in that range I like. Also a big fan of Syrah.

I've had some good Malbecs lately and think that's a good choice too, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you what they were.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:22 PM

Los Gascos makes a good cheap Malbec. Argentina I think, otherwise it's Chile by default. I had a bottle at some trendy restaurant in Atlanta that doesn't use butter, and every serving is under 450 calories or some crap. But it was a great wine.

I just found it at a BevMo last night, and bought 3 bottles. Normally 10.99, on sale for 8.99! Very easy to drink, and won't overpower the surf, especially if it's lobster.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ep,

David Bruce and Handley are two Pinots in that range I like. Also a big fan of Syrah.

I've had some good Malbecs lately and think that's a good choice too, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you what they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

Any clue what a "typical" restaurant markup is? I recently had a fabulous Pinot for $90, but it's clearly marked up significantly. Is there an industry standard?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 PM

ep,

I think 100% markup is most common, though it varies a lot based on restaurant, region, and wine.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ep,

I think 100% markup is most common, though it varies a lot based on restaurant, region, and wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine the markup is much higher in high-end restaurants. As evidenced by the $3400 bottle on the menu at Cyrus in Healdsburg. I'll take the $150 option and enjoy it, thanks.

I would guess those bottles and prices exist because immeasurably wealthy individuals like to show off to clients / guests / friends.