Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Key to the Final Table
Win Coin Flips 30 76.92%
Avoid Bad Beats 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Biased IQ Poll

The only test that *matters* is an administered timed test, as those available through Mensa.

The "online" tests are a joke.

AB
Old 12-29-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Different types of IQ tests have different meanings for the numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what I meant by elite 10%.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only test that *matters* is an administered timed test, as those available through Mensa.

The "online" tests are a joke.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI - Mensa (for the moment) administers two separate tests, you need only "pass" one of the two to join. And, they do not tell you your IQ score. All you know from them is if you're a 2%-er or not.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Anyone here a member of Mega, or similar group?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered "never taken an IQ test." Is it odd that I'm in grad school now and I've never taken an IQ test, or at least, if I took one when I was younger I was never privy to the results? I haven't actively avoided taking one, but I havent pursued it either. Maybe I'm subconsciously afraid its going to be really low.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered "never taken an IQ test." Is it odd that I'm in grad school now and I've never taken an IQ test, or at least, if I took one when I was younger I was never privy to the results? I haven't actively avoided taking one, but I havent pursued it either. Maybe I'm subconsciously afraid its going to be really low.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little odd, since i assume you were in gifted classes at some point. But my parents refused to share the childhood results with me until i was much older.

On the other hand, most of the IQ tests i've taken were part of psych batteries. I guess childhood placement and psych batteries are the only reasons to have them administered.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little odd, since i assume you were in gifted classes at some point. But my parents refused to share the childhood results with me until i was much older.

On the other hand, most of the IQ tests i've taken were part of psych batteries. I guess childhood placement and psych batteries are the only reasons to have them administered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in gifted classes for most of my life, and I have a feeling that I have actually taken the same sorts of tests as you. I've just never found out the results. Perhaps I should ask.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:55 PM

I took the Mega test a long time ago and only scored 42/48
so I wasn't eligible for Mega (requirement was 43/48).

I also think that the IQ scores measured by the test are an
overestimate of IQ. Besides, if you are smart, you don't
need to join such a group.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:26 AM

Never been tested (aside from the grossly inflated online tests).

However, I wonder why I never hear anyone discuss possible day-to-day variance in test performance. Is this something that is supposedly under control? I have a vague feeling that I'd probably do significantly better on some days than on others, or at different times during any given day.

Also, how much meaning is there to claiming six standard deviations above the norm after a couple hour test? Just how accurate are these things assumed to actually be?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never been tested (aside from the grossly inflated online tests).

However, I wonder why I never hear anyone discuss possible day-to-day variance in test performance. Is this something that is supposedly under control? I have a vague feeling that I'd probably do significantly better on some days than on others, or at different times during any given day.

Also, how much meaning is there to claiming six standard deviations above the norm after a couple hour test? Just how accurate are these things assumed to actually be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you'd have to take it a few times to get an accurate score. And after a certain point on the scale, several-point differences really are abstract anyway.

Those of you pondering asking after your previous results, it may not matter. Had a dalliance/friendship with a psych grad student a few years back. Very intelligent woman. Told me one evening when I brought up the subject that there's no point, really, because your own expectations of your assumed score in relation to your actual score, no matter if it's higher or lower, will impact your confidence or add to the pressures.

FWIW, I was a child prodigy. It's not a childhood I look back on with wistful fondness. Pressure and expectations were awesome.