Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: another fitness thread

OMG A CHIPOTLE BURRITO HAS 1300 CALORIES. I THOUGHT IT WAS HEALTHY!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 2p2 bbv/oot human encyclopedia. since feb. 2004
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 PM

If you are only eating that many calories and running that much you should definately lose weight. Try to spend a month and at least approx your calories and manage them, the beginning is the toughest part. If you can add fruits and veges and replace the pastas and quesadillas with brown rice/whole foods that would be great, but obviously you dont want to be too anal with your diet or you can get burnt out fast.

Right now Id focus on the diet and cardio, spend the time you need to lose the majority of the excess fat. Youll be surprised how fast it goes if you do it correctly, and by the way you describe yourself you wont lose much muscle, although some muscle loss is inevitable whenever you want to lose weight.

After that spend some time heavy lifting, the best 5 are squats, deads, bench, bent over rows, shoulder press, any isos you want to do should be done after those compound movements. Obviously spread it out over 3-5 days. Whatever muscle you lost before will be gained back very quickly, then you can continue to pack on more. Your results will come quicker then you expect, and once they stop coming so fast youll probably be at your realistic goal anyway so you can ease up on everything.

EDIT: i forgot to mention try to spread it out to at least 4 meals a day
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeez, the OP is fat and in the very early stages of regular exercise--he's not training for a triathlon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely why he SHOULDN'T be using machines. The benefits of free weights, especially to a new trainee, are incomparable. By starting off doing the compound lifts (squats, bench presses, deadlifts, overhead presses, rows, etc) with free weights, the OP will experience the absolute best muscle growth and fat loss he will ever naturally experience.

[ QUOTE ]
If using machines helps him to slowly begin to weight train without hurting himself, then there is nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most injuries with free weights occur due to excessive weight while using poor form, not simply poor form. That is, someone trying to bench press 200lbs with bad form is going to hurt himself, but he could bench press 45lbs all day with bad form and still be OK.

That being said, if OP starts with the compound free weight lifts BUT leaves his ego at the door and focuses on doing the exercise right, he will not only achieve better results than with machines, but he will also develop a solid base that crap like leg presses and the pec deck can't give you. You could squat for 6 months, then hop on the leg extension machine and destroy it. Try saying the same for a lifter who spends his whole life doing leg extensions and leg presses and then heads to the squat rack.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
GOD I LOVE CHIPOTLE

that is all.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and for the love of god, stay off the machines

[/ QUOTE ]

why are machines bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight machines dont work stabalizer muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, the OP is fat and in the very early stages of regular exercise--he's not training for a triathlon. If using machines helps him to slowly begin to weight train without hurting himself, then there is nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any interest in me or someone writing a sticky for these threads and the misinformations that keeps coming up?

No offense to you chesspain. . . most people don't know anything about this stuff - I know I didnt until i made a real effort to educate myself.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 AM

why not just play sports again? way more fun then a gym, and you are much more likely to stick with it
Old 12-28-2006, 01:02 AM

I don't think it matters what OP does with weights. In fact I'd venture that just by going in the gym loading and unloading the leg press with >3000 lbs he'd get ~90% the benefit of doing something perfetly tailored. You have a lot of leeway when you're horribly out of shape.

8 weeks from now... Yeah, free weights etc are the way to go, but let tubby play on the machines and stuff until he learns how to do exercises.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Any interest in me or someone writing a sticky for these threads and the misinformations that keeps coming up?

[/ QUOTE ]

only if the sticky says "eat less, exercise more" cuz thats really all these people need to do. Bombing them with all the "information" isnt going to do anything but sidetrack them from their main objective and cause them to use up all their energy trying to count grams of protien and remember how many sets of what exercise to do.

They are fat and out of shape for a reason, and its prolly due to the fact they lack discipline and dont have energy to do anything more after work or school than turn on the TV. If all these "zomg, its new years resolution time" and "Starting 4 days from now I am going to stick to this regimented military awesome work out routine and diet!" people just started small with "Im going to walk today, and im not going to drink soda" and did that for a while, theyd be sooooooo much more likely to end up where they wanna be, than wading through the over abundance of info thats out there and trying to apply that. All that crap should be saved for people who are already doing the basics and just want to get in even better/healthier shape.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why not just play sports again? way more fun then a gym, and you are much more likely to stick with it

[/ QUOTE ]

For what the OP is saying, joining a basketball league or starting to box or something is a pretty decent idea. Some good cardio 2-3 days a week and a couple days of lifting and you can do a lot