Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 01:41 AM

Default Re: yankees

[ QUOTE ]
desertcat... i think randy will have a fine season, but if they sign zito to a long term deal that would be great for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Zito is over-rated, but don't see why he won't be a well above average starter for the length of the contract and you know he will avoid injury. With their offense that's all the Yankees need.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 AM

for everyone who thinks that signing zito would be a mistake for the yankees, how should they use that big pile of money they have? is passing on zito is going to let them use that money more effectively somewhere else? i dont think the yankees really care if they get a crappy return on every dollar they spend as long as it makes them better.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for everyone who thinks that signing zito would be a mistake for the yankees, how should they use that big pile of money they have? is passing on zito is going to let them use that money more effectively somewhere else? i dont think the yankees really care if they get a crappy return on every dollar they spend as long as it makes them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ostensibly, yes - because it will allow them to sign a top flight pitcher next year who is not as overrated as Barry Zito. We've already established they aren't just going to sign anyone and everyone - so Barry Zito at the price he's asking would be an albatross - for a team that already has several.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:52 AM

as a red sox fan i am rooting so hard for the yankees dumping johnson and giving zito all the dollarstuffs.

i'm kind of terrified of them getting a lot of value for johnson in trade and then signing clemens though.

all the projection systems have johnson as being one of the top few pitchers in baseball still
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ostensibly, yes - because it will allow them to sign a top flight pitcher next year who is not as overrated as Barry Zito. We've already established they aren't just going to sign anyone and everyone - so Barry Zito at the price he's asking would be an albatross - for a team that already has several.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I guess part of my point is that if people are going to object to a deal because it is overpaying, you should be able to specify how they should use that money instead, otherwise the posts are worthless. I'm not necessarily saying the yankees should sign zito, i dont know, but what FAs are going to be available next year who would be more valuable? I have no idea who will be available.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all the projection systems have johnson as being one of the top few pitchers in baseball still

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure but aren't the numbers those are projected off based on seasons where he wasn't injured? I've read the same articles as everyone else about how he was unlucky in 06 but forgive me if I am skeptical. I'm looking at his mean pecota projections and I'd be willing to bet a lot of money (laying some degree of odds obviously) that he does worse than 1.6 BB/9 and 7.4 K/9.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I guess part of my point is that if people are going to object to a deal because it is overpaying, you should be able to specify how they should use that money instead, otherwise the posts are worthless. I'm not necessarily saying the yankees should sign zito, i dont know, but what FAs are going to be available next year who would be more valuable? I have no idea who will be available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overpay for Clemens for one year...not Zito for 6 or 7.

They need a longterm solution at 1st base, DH, RF, CF etc.
Closer, relievers etc

More and more players will be opting out of deals if they can.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
I think Zito is over-rated, but don't see why he won't be a well above average starter for the length of the contract

[/ QUOTE ]

because every projection system worth its salt thinks his era will be around 4.5 next year, with further decline down the road?

[ QUOTE ]
and you know he will avoid injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you don't. i know the bears will be making the playoffs. i think the jets are very likely to make it, but i don't know this will happen. do you see the difference?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
is passing on zito is going to let them use that money more effectively somewhere else?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. for example, for the 16 million zito wants per year, they could keep/extend randy johnson.

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think the yankees really care if they get a crappy return on every dollar they spend as long as it makes them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement is just flat-out wrong. most free agents are primarily interested in getting the most money. if the yankees don't care how much they spend, how come they haven't signed everyone they wanted the past couple of years? i doubt it's because they thought bernie williams was better than carlos beltran.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 AM

Wow I really hope the Dbax don't give up much to get Randy. Also, has anyone heard a rumor of A-Rod possibly coming to Arizona?