Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Fake Winning Lottery Ticket Causes Ecstasy -- Then Fury. What Now?

Ep,

Wanting to beat his ass is a douche move. It was a joke, it is not his fault your brothers wife got so emotionally crushed. I would assume normally the 'winner' would feel elated and rightfully so, but I think anyone would be skeptical if they'd received the ticket as a 'gift' and would therefor not have their entire world come crashing down had it turned out to be a faux pas.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:14 AM

the gag is only about as funny as a bad pun. therefore it's only funny for about a nano second. I would ban the black sheep from the gift exchange for a while.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ep,

Wanting to beat his ass is a douche move. It was a joke, it is not his fault your brothers wife got so emotionally crushed. I would assume normally the 'winner' would feel elated and rightfully so, but I think anyone would be skeptical if they'd received the ticket as a 'gift' and would therefor not have their entire world come crashing down had it turned out to be a faux pas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here's the problem: We limit the gift value to $20, and many people will buy something for like $15 (a bottle of wine, some beer, etc) and throw in $5 worth of lotto tickets. It's pretty standard. There were lotto tickets in about 4 or 5 of the 30 gifts.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I'm interested in -- how long can this go on before the giver should morally reveal the gag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Revealing it to be a fake instantly kills the whole purpose of the joke, you should wait until the elation sets in before being like "NOPE IT'S A JOKE", else its a waste of $. So the kid did play the joke out right, it is unfortunate she became so emotional afterward but hey [censored] happens, he doesn't owe her an apology at all.

But obviously, don't wait until she drives down to the local deli or tries to mail it in to collect, but give it a few minutes.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I'm interested in -- how long can this go on before the giver should morally reveal the gag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Revealing it to be a fake instantly kills the whole purpose of the joke, you should wait until the elation sets in before being like "NOPE IT'S A JOKE", else its a waste of $. So the kid did play the joke out right, it is unfortunate she became so emotional afterward but hey [censored] happens, he doesn't owe her an apology at all.

But obviously, don't wait until she drives down to the local deli or tries to mail it in to collect, but give it a few minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "kid" is 35. But I appreciate the response; it's easy for me to think it's a cruel joke, given my position. I'm pretty sure it sucks, though, biased-be-damned.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Fake Winning Lottery Ticket Causes Ecstasy -- Then Fury. What Now

i think thats a terrible joke. ESPECIALLY for someone who really needs the money.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 AM

Dem,

What you seem to overlook is that is it's a terribly mean spirited joke that simply is not funny. Of course she is emotional to a huge (to her) amount of money, what would one expect?

J
Old 12-23-2006, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think thats a terrible joke. ESPECIALLY for someone who really needs the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be fair, my cousin did not know who would end up with the tickets. However, he seemed to delight in spurring on the celebration before the big reveal.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:24 AM

Jay,

Of course, but it is a practical joke afterall. I'm not saying it's wrong to sympathize with her for getting emotionally shaken, but I'd say most generally the persons reaction is more of a "ahh, damn you!" type of thing as opposed to a literal breakdown.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:25 AM

Have you ever met a woman?