Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Player seating

If you have a good reason to have a particular seat (and it seems that you do), I see no problem with your always having that seat but having the other players draw randomly for seats. You can either draw with them with the stipulation that your usual seat will then be whatever seat you draw (eg, you draw 5, so your seat is now seat 5) or just say you are seat 1 and have the others draw. If you do the latter, it is only fair to then have a draw for the button.

When we play tournaments at our home game, we always draw for seats. But one of our players is legally blind (meaning he can see, but not well), so he always has the same seat because of the lighting. We just assign him seat 1 at table 1, have everyone else draw for seats, and then have a high card button draw at each table. Everyone understands this, and no one complains. Ours is a very friendly game, but I don't see why your players would have a problem with you having the seat you need.

And like the others I really think random seating during a tournament is MUCH fairer. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM

Tournaments should really be random. As others have said, your physical location is the same, but everyone draws randomly around you. Or if they think you're gaining an advantage, then you draw too and make your card at your chair and everyone else fills in around you. Pick cards, sit by rank. Say what it is BEFORE people pick, tho' (ie, up or down in what direction). If people complain that you always get the nice chair, let 'em know they're welcome to bring their own.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:50 PM

For the draw, I thought we would all draw cards and just make my sit whatever number I draw. For the button, we had always gone with hight card but, if we start drawing for seats, I thought we could assign the dealler to whoever draws seat 1.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 PM

As pfapfap said, "then you draw too and make your card at your chair and everyone else fills in around you"

And yes, make seat 1 also be the button, to save having to draw cards AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM

I mention my idea to my friend and it didn`t go down to well. He didn`t feel it has to be done and someone else may complain and not understand why my seat stays the same.
I`ll drop the idea, it is a home game among friends.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Games:

Tourney: card draw.
CashGame: first to grab a seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mention my idea to my friend and it didn`t go down to well. He didn`t feel it has to be done and someone else may complain and not understand why my seat stays the same.
I`ll drop the idea, it is a home game among friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame to drop a good idea because one player (the same one who is taking advantage of the current state of affairs?) gripes about it. I suggest bringing it up to the group as a whole, explaining that it is a more fair situation to have a random sequence of seating, rather than always having any particular order.

If you need to wake some (other) people up to the value of (relative) position, that is ok, too, given that this is a friendly game. Presumably you are all there to learn the game as well as try to take each other's $, so those who are interested in learning a new aspect can glom onto this concept. Those who remain oblivious... whatever.

I see no problem at all with the host calling his/her own house seat, especially to facilitate running the game.

Teo
Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Games:

Tourney: card draw.
CashGame: first to grab a seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard
Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM

The other guy and myself are by far the strongest players. The others just want to play some cards and drink and so on. I may mention the fact about the advantage privatly to a couple of players without pointing the finger but the problem here is I don`t think they understand the differnece. I may just suck it up and play as is.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM

You are being played. I understand wanting to be the nice guy, as I'm also that guy, but I realize that as I run my games, people are expecting me to step up and tell them how it is. Nobody really cares, they just want someone to be in charge and make it run smoothly.

The group doesn't care, so don't bring it up to them. When the guy shows up, tell him that you want to randomize the positional advantage between the two of you, and so people will draw once enough are there to start the table.

The only people who whine are angle-shooters, and they're not people you need to please.