Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: floating the semi-bluff check/raise

I kinda like it if he's weak tight as you say.

You have probably somewhere in the 15-18 outs range depending on his exact cards, but you're only getting 3-2 on the raise. He might have to fold a better hand fairly often for this to be right.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM

Was I your opponent in this hand?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:11 PM

I make this kind of play all the time. But if I were playing this hand I would probably raise preflop to represent, ya know? Then I take it down on the flop unimproved a lot. Plus this cannot be a very good player judging from the open limp from the CO.

I would prefer to check-raise the flop in the hopes that he folds the turn. Your play is ok except you have to hope that he bets the turn for your play to work. If he checks through, your hand might be best but you miss an opportunity to fold out ace high or something like 66 or even J9 (if she really is weak-tight this could happen). So when you check the turn, you are risking the possibility of having to rely on K high holding up at showdown if you don't improve.

If you check-raise the flop, villain will often see the turn but not the river. There are a lot of cards in the deck that can improve your hand on the turn, but you won't always need to hit a helping card to win the hand if you check-raise the flop.

So that's my analysis. Not sure if it's right or makes any sense. I think your play here is tricky, but depends a bit too much on good things happening that you can't control (villain betting both flop and turn, and having a good card hit the turn).

I think checking and calling down with this hand is rather hopeless. What if the 5 of clubs was a spade? Then what? Check and call? I suppose after the flop play I would still check-raise the turn no matter what, because I would feel compelled to do something to try and win the hand. I think that with this hand, you need to do something a bit earlier to take the initiative.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM

I hate it. What does a weak/tight tag open limp here that they will bet on 2 streets and what do you play this way?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 PM

msgr martinez,

i have no idea. i dont know your ub handle.

bbbushu
Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
msgr martinez,

i have no idea. i dont know your ub handle.

bbbushu

[/ QUOTE ]

It's MsgrMartinez.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 PM

danza,

i think this player could have a lot of hands, here. it's more than reasonable that they'd limp with and bet both streets with QJ, Q9+, J9+, 88, 99, Ax (maybe some other hands since i've underrepresented to an extent).

there's not a lot of hands s/he could put me on, here. any random two pair hand is in since i'm working the big blind special. same goes with Qx, Jx, KT and any two clubs. i know i'm behind a decent amount of the time but i felt compelled to try to win the hand and knew this player was capable of folding most of their range, here.

i don't know how much i like it anymore, either, to be honest.

bbbushu
Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM

then no [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make this kind of play all the time. But if I were playing this hand I would probably raise preflop to represent, ya know? Then I take it down on the flop unimproved a lot. Plus this cannot be a very good player judging from the open limp from the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think this is all pretty accurate. i can see how much stronger my hand is now that i'm HU with a CO open-limper and that i should have raised. this villain's tightness is also good reason to bloat the pot bc i'll be stealing it so often.

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer to check-raise the flop in the hopes that he folds the turn. Your play is ok except you have to hope that he bets the turn for your play to work. If he checks through, your hand might be best but you miss an opportunity to fold out ace high or something like 66 or even J9 (if she really is weak-tight this could happen). So when you check the turn, you are risking the possibility of having to rely on K high holding up at showdown if you don't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is pretty good reason to not wait until the turn - which is sort of what i wanted to focus on. if s/he checks behind and i miss, i'm probably leading most rivers as a pure bluff, considering how tight s/he is.

thanks for the reply,
bbbushu
Old 12-19-2006, 02:07 PM

I raise PF to take initiative. I lead flop regardless of PF raise or not... so I can't really comment on your action =)