Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Good low limit players. Are there any?

[ QUOTE ]
I used to crush 4/8 kill B&M lhe for like $40/hr for like a year, then I moved up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well grats on doubling your $80 bankroll! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is simple: the bad play from other players that makes the game profitable for a good player also ends up meaning RIDICULOUS amounts of suck outs. People don't fold in 4/8. That's good in a sense, but also means you'll never make 12.5BB/hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the reason at ALL why you can't make $100/hr. You've just described the argument frustrated people make about how $4/8 is "unbeatable." How could your opponents' calling errors possibly cost you money long-term? That's why they're errors.

12.5BB/hr is impossible because a rake exists and the players aren't horrible enough.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Total solid play. Very good reads on players. Never plays fearful. Wins with all kinds of hands but when he is betting/raising, he has a made hand. I would suspect his normal play nets him around $100/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have noticed his play when he walks away with several racks and estimate 100/hour - but you probably don't notice the times he has to re buy and runs cold for hours.

In 4/8, 4bb/hour is OUTSTANDING. 2bb/hour is pretty good for live.

AB
Old 12-17-2006, 05:48 AM

Come on guys. 7 hours at at 4/8 table has to be at least 180 hands. I think that's enough to be pretty sure about this guys winrate.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:28 AM

how many tables was he playing??
Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

12.5BB/hr is impossible because a rake exists and the players aren't horrible enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

12.5 BB/hr is possible, but not for a large number of hours. I am sure you have been watching when he has been the benefactor of positive variance. If you watch for enough hours, you will be better able to get a true hourly rate.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In 4/8, 4bb/hour is OUTSTANDING. 2bb/hour is pretty good for live.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction, 2 BB/hour is outstanding, 4BB/hour is practically unsustainable.

Guys this topic is as old as poker itself, why are you all trying to reinvent the wheel?

1) BB/Hour is determined over a long period of time, many thousands of hands. Any fluctuations in the process while determining your win rate is caused by variance, the range of the possible swing is the player's standard deviation - the measurement of deviations from the mean. Win rate confidence is the percentage chance that your current win rate lies within a given range of your true earn.The only thing that doesn't take long to determine is the standard deviation, this is usually determined within the first 100 hours or so. You won't begin to get a real picture of your winrate until you log 2,000 or more hours, and even then its statistically far from reality until you start to near 60,000 hours or so. For the ultimate discussion on this matter I recommend you turn to the source, Mason's fantastic book Gambling Theory and other topics, where Mason uses his background as a statistician to explore bankroll management, winrate, and risk of ruin.

As for the OP's guy at commerce, I'd take a guy like that on HU anyday - that low limit player type is usually easy to beat for a skilled player.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 AM

I played 4/8 for 500 hours last year grinding to my current bankroll for the 15/30 here in Kansas City.

I won 15/hr in KC and Vegas, with a $4 rake and $1 drop. My belief is that impossible to beat it for more than 2BB p/hr.

If the Commerce 4/8 game is 7 to the flop, then varience is pretty sick.

Yes they are some pretty decent low limit grinders, why they do not move up is beyond me. Maybe they are to weak, scared of failure, who knows.

But anybody who has played this game for a year, can attest to the patience it takes to become a winning player. Very few players can stay patient grinding out 10/hr.

Mark in Kansas City
Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 AM

The best Low limit player I know plays 5-10 in a room that goes up to 20-40 and occasionally 40-80, with Nl caps of 100, 200 and no cap. He could easily play the higher games, but instead chooses the lower games. He just has more fun, and crushes them. He's older with nothing to prove and makes an extra 1000 bucks a month cash in the process. The guys who always question skill level based on limit size never quite get that there are plenty of folks out there who play for fun, and are more conservative with their money.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to crush 4/8 kill B&M lhe for like $40/hr for like a year, then I moved up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put up or shut up, please post your graph to prove it. And it better be at least 100 hours at a minimum.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT, guys like this don't keep records. They just play 4-8 and make 50k per year live. (eyes rolling in the back of my head).