Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 01:56 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Commerce, a fine point on straddling.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhow even if u are up against these two hands you always have two outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 PM

I fold this flop as played. Top and bottom pair in an unraised, albiet straddled, pot is not a monster.

However, I would have bet out and not been in this situation in the first place.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this flop as played. Top and bottom pair in an unraised, albiet straddled, pot is not a monster.

However, I would have bet out and not been in this situation in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you possibly consider folding here. You are putting him on K9 or the case 3's? The way the action went preflop I think you do have a monster here.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really didn't like cold-calling in that spot given that will most likely make it a 3-handed pot and I will not be happy on most turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Most turns?" The board is K93r. If you're not happy it's because your hand isn't that good to begin with, but in this case your hand is that good to begin with, so sack up and get money in on the turn. I'd much rather lead the flop but given that you didn't I think pete_fabrizio's advice is dead-on. And stop being unhappy on the turn. No need for it.

--Nate
Old 12-15-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its WA/WB, cold call and go from there. id lead the flop though, otherwise all the medium strength hands you could have fall out of your range. idk how commerce plays, but i would lead this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not WA/WB
Old 12-15-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol why do you even bother BB
Old 12-15-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really didn't like cold-calling in that spot given that will most likely make it a 3-handed pot and I will not be happy on most turns.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Most turns?" The board is K93r. If you're not happy it's because your hand isn't that good to begin with, but in this case your hand is that good to begin with, so sack up and get money in on the turn. I'd much rather lead the flop but given that you didn't I think pete_fabrizio's advice is dead-on. And stop being unhappy on the turn. No need for it.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this in principle, but recognize that against a good lag who views you as the same, cold-calling here reps a strong hand, with bottom 2 pair being at the bottom of your range. He's highly unlikely to bet the turn if you check, and highly unlikely to call with the few combinations that are losing to you if you donk the turn. "People" in this game may put you on JT, A9, KQ, etc., but this player will not. The key here IMO is thinking about what the flop bettor is likely to do here if you cold-call. If he'll call with any non-stone-bluff he bet with, and sometimes make a bad call on the turn, then calling and leading the turn is the compelling choice. If he's likely to fold here on the flop regardless, I'd reraise more often.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM

Kirkrrr,

What was the fine point about straddling, btw?

I have one to make. I don't like to do it, unless everyone else is doing it, and often not then, either. Why? Because I'm a nit. Psych. I don't like to do it if most of the stacks are 100BBs or less, because that gives the nits even more incentive to sit back and wait for big pairs and AK. They don't have to worry about playing deep-stacked against a better post-flop opponent, because their usually-smaller-than-average stack is all-in even sooner, with the additional blind in there. What do you think? I like my post, but I wish it had like seven more hyphens in it.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:22 PM

cero,

Really glad you bring it up, as I've been meaning to address that for quite a while now. There are two main reasons to straddle, imo:

1) You are over 300BB's deep at a table where several of the "fish" are deep as well, and you want to force the table to play bigger pots.

2) ... with the exception being that even if you are as shallow as only 200BB's (in a no cap live cash game that's not deep at all) but one of the blinds is deep enough as well and you want to be in every hand as they are, I will also straddle in that spot to make sure I maximize my chances of playing vs one of the blinds and I don't have to limp UTG to do it.

Kirk

PS. Results: Having [censored] up the hand as much as I humanly could, I had to fold to the push, which I did. He showed 2,3o for an extremely well played hand, imo.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He showed 2,3o for an extremely well played hand, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minus the whole pf thing