Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Life decision: taking a risk with my bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
If you're trying to be a poker pro and you can't pull in enough beyond $1400/month playing NL200, I think you have bigger issues looming than whether this is a good idea or not. That's really not very much money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dudes got 11k effective bankroll. Let's say his minimum nut is 2K, what if January doesn't go so well at the tables? Say he losses 10-15 buy-ins. Now his bankroll is around 6-7K. Not looking good for his expenses/bankroll.

Nation I can't say I blame you for wanting to live with a bunch of young balla poker players in a phat house in LA, but I don't think you have the scrilla to lead this sort of life right now.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:06 PM

don't you guys think the long term benefits of improving my play outweighs the risk of ruin? i mean i still have 50 buyins for 1-2 even after this months rent.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 PM

N, would these guys stake you if you ran bad? If the answer is yes, than the risk isn't so big.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 PM

I think it's probably +EV, in the sense that you will learn enough about poker to make the risk worth while. Also, you're young and have time to fail once or twice if you wind up busto.

If you're not comfortable with this, though, you have a chance to wind up playing bad and going busto anyway. This one's on you and your state of mind.

Also...that's not four months' rent. If the house is 4 way, that's over 6 months. If it's 5 way, which I thought it was, it's still 5 months. This is clearly and blatantly illegal and setting you up for a ripoff once you move out. Get another house.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:08 PM

nation,

i used to be in the same boat as you 6 months ago. i was fresh out of college, and wondering what i wanted to do with my life. i wanted to live in nyc, but [censored], it's so expensive. well, i moved down here and am having the time of my life.

my advice: life is too short to worry about money. you'll make rent and expenses somehow, someway. live it up while you're still young and carefree, and worry about finances later on in life.

also, just so you know, living with poker players who are better than you will improve you skills so much. i was fortunate enough to live with a few medium/high stakes 2p2ers last summer in the city and my game improved 10 fold.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 PM

I think you are definitely taking a big risk. HOWEVER, if you want to make poker your main source of livelyhood for the foreseeable future, then the ability to learn from better players in an environment conducive to the activity you are trying to get better at, is worth a lot more than what you will be paying. In addition, there is no reason you can't get some part time/weekend type job just to make ends meet.

Most poker players have gone busto at least once in their lives (speaking pre-internet here), if you are young, unattached and willing to eat ramen noodles while you learn to play better/higher/build a roll - this is an easy and resounding yes.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:15 PM

DaveR,

It doesn't matter if they would, because I wouldn't accept it. I'd get a job to become robusto.

adanthar,

Is it really illegal? It's 5 people moving in. More info would be greatly appreciated. I was shocked when I heard I had to put down 7k.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM

what's your backup plan?

also, 35k security deposit seems ridiculous. Call a real estate broker and get the low down...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

DaveR,

It doesn't matter if they would, because I wouldn't accept it. I'd get a job to become robusto.

adanthar,

Is it really illegal? It's 5 people moving in. More info would be greatly appreciated. I was shocked when I heard I had to put down 7k.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
4 months security deposit is too much. Looks like the most they can charge is 3.5 if you have a waterbed, 3 without.

source

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM

WTF, aren't you a life nit (like me)? I figured by Slider's description of you in the BBV thread about this house that you were making the decision pretty confident that you could handle the fiscal responsibilities pretty easily.

When are you supposed to move in? Jan 1? If you have any reservations about it, I would get out of it you can. If you can't, definitely walkthrough the house with the landlord and document if you can. Be a thorough as possible.