Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Need help with a loan to a friend

Tell him you need the money and that he has to pay you at least some of it, or you'll be forced to tell everyone he knows that he stiffed you on a loan. $2k is not insignificant. I had a guy stiff me for $300, and I let that go, and I even regret that. Debts are debts, and they are supposed to be paid.

Be firm with him. Let him know that it's important for both of you that you get paid back.

Other tactics you can try:

(1) Tell him you'll be forced to call his family (parents, siblings, etc) if he doesnt pay. This is humiliating for someone.

(2) Tell him if he stops blowing off returning your calls, you'll have to show up at his work to ask him for the money. Nobody wants their boss and coworkers thinking they're financially irresponsible or untrustworthy.

(3) Ask him for some collateral if he says he's broke. Make him give you something valuable to hold until he pays.

(4) Sell the debt to someone a bit more menacing to you for 70 cents on the dollar.