Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Bloomberg for President?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
social liberal

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he behind all the smoking bans? Or am I confused? I don't follow NYC politics very closely because I'd never want to live in a [censored]hole of a city.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, the smoking ban was a pet project of his but on other social matters (gay marriage, abortion, gun control) he's liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very confused by this. You guys to be implying that smoking bans are unliberal, but it's liberals and liberal communities who have mostly been implementing them across the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not socially liberal in the classical sense of the word. It's more of the patnerialistic liberal from the same type that tries to ban violent video games.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
social liberal

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he behind all the smoking bans? Or am I confused? I don't follow NYC politics very closely because I'd never want to live in a [censored]hole of a city.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, the smoking ban was a pet project of his but on other social matters (gay marriage, abortion, gun control) he's liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very confused by this. You guys to be implying that smoking bans are unliberal, but it's liberals and liberal communities who have mostly been implementing them across the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not socially liberal in the classical sense of the word. It's more of the patnerialistic liberal from the same type that tries to ban violent video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the classical political sense of the word, sure, but this isn't the 1800s. I don't see why you would try to use the word in a fashion that has been out of use for so long. *shrug* By the modern usage, Bloomberg fits the liberal label just fine and by the classical usage, no one who's called a liberal today fits.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
social liberal

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never looked at it as a liberal or conservative issue, just something that is good for business, good for individuals, good for society as a whole, with some incovenience to a minority.

Which, in the tradition of this board, leads to another AC hijack. If it is so favorable, why did it take regulation to get there, why didnt the free market get there on its own?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
social liberal

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never looked at it as a liberal or conservative issue, just something that is good for business, good for individuals, good for society as a whole, with some incovenience to a minority.

Which, in the tradition of this board, leads to another AC hijack. If it is so favorable, why did it take regulation to get there, why didnt the free market get there on its own?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your problem. You assume it is favorable. Look at Vegas for example, how there are smoking rooms, non smoking rooms, etc... If there is a demand, the market will take care of it. My guess is non-smoking bars are not as successful as smoking ones (when there is a choice).
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which, in the tradition of this board, leads to another AC hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no "AC hijack" until you just tried to make one. No one said a damned word about how the private sector providing anything until your post. Out of respect for the OP, I'm not going to continue your anti-AC hijack though, despite the fact that I have an answer to your question, and instead go back to talking about Bloomberg. Your anti-AC hijack has been noted though.